Boat Shopping?

Lerianix2000

Hi I'm in the process of buying a boat and would like to know your opinion on these boat brands for a 20'.

Sea ray
Hurricane
Maxum
Four winds

will apreciate the help

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Hi, and welcome to Net Boat Talk. I'm glad you joined up.

Are you looking at new or used? The used market has a lot to offer and can save you a few bucks for sure.
I've owned a Four Winns and have been in a SeaRay and Maxum. I know Four Winns and SeaRay best. Both are top notch boats. Highly desirable. Maxum has a good rep also, I was on one of those, but I don't know it as well as the other. Hurricane is a new one to me. Don't take that to mean anything negative, I just have not run into that brand.
My daughter and her hubby are also in the market for a 20 to 22 ft cuddy cabin. I'm hoping they can find a Four Winns or SeaRay in their price range.

waybomb

I'd rather be blown
Sea ray
Hurricane
Maxum
Four winds

I have no idea on the Hurricane, never heard of them. Are they local to your area?

Maxum is one step above a Bayliner.

Four Winns and Sea Ray are quality boats and hold value.

If all you will be doing is inland small lake boating, you don't an expensive boat, nor a fast boat. Just find something with a goood service history. It would do you good to pay a surveyor to perform a complete survey, including engines and drive, on the boat you want to buy. Could save you big bucks in the long run.

pugger

After buying a brand new boat & motor in June of 2007 (actually bought it in March but delivery went a little longer than promised 10 weeks) I can give a somewhat educated opinion. If you want to buy new, and you want to get a boat w/ less than you think you need, and if you want shoddy workmanship & poor attention to detail in its manufacture, and if you want the dealer to show maximum indifference to any of your desires or dissatisfactions - go to Tracker Marine.:shitHitsFan:

PS, in the graphic, the face wiping the dark stuff off would be you - the customer.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Sorry about your bad experience Pugger. I've never bought a new boat. I hate the depreciation plus I feel I can usually get more boat for the money by getting slightly used boat with 200 -300 hours on it, and get it for 1/2 the price it sold for new. I've been able to buy a Four Winns that way and a Baja, and most recently a houseboat. It's worked out great for me.

pugger

Ideally I would have done it that way myself. I'm a bit long in the tooth & being the first time I was sure I needed to start w/ new. I'm telling you I could have found a boat in better condition/working order than the new one!:poster_oops:

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Like Fred (waybomb) mentioned, getting a survey on a used boat can make buying used as hassel free as buying new. Surveys are not cheap, but they can save you thousands, very much like a house appraisal can save you. Always good to have an outside pro look at things. They'll think of things you never thought of.

AllenOK

Hi Doc,

I'm in the market for something to go fishing with. I've looked at a fiberglass trihull. It was old. PeppA, my other half, refused to let me haul it with her truck, and drove off while I was looking at it.

My parents have a bass boat that they aren't using. I know it has "something" wrong with it, but no idea what it is. For all I know, it could be missing the plug. I do not know if they even want to sell it, but I know they could use the money.

I've recently been told that I should basically forget about using PeppA's truck to tow a boat, and just get a canoe or a kayak and throw it on top of my car.

I've been pricing canoes and kayaks, and have found some, new, that are well within my price range.

That said, I've never owned a boat before. I do have experience in canoes, small sailboats, rowboats, and small powerboats, thanks to the Boy Scouts. Lots of experience in canoes. I was thinking that would be the direction I would go, then I started looking at the kayaks. Those look interesting, the sit-on type.

Something small like that would open up most of the lake I live near, including some areas that are NOT accessible to powerboats. It would also open up the main creek both above and below the lake. There's another small lake about 12 miles away that I could put a canoe or kayak into as well.

Do any of the members of this forum have experience with fishing kayaks? I'd be interested in discussing ideas with them.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Come on Peppa, Allen needs a truck to tow his boat. :D

They do have some extra nice john boats that will get all the places you are after. A go fast bass boat does not sound like the solution for you. Some lakes have horsepower limits so you might want to double check that before you buy. I prefer to buy used. But I also buy used cars and trucks when I can. A slightly used boat can save you a few thousand, and will maintain it's value better than a new boat. Slightly used is the best of all, but can be hard to find.
So, will you consider buying used? Many times used will have the motor, trolling motor, life jackets, ropes, extra battery all already with it. With a new boat you have to buy all that individually. It can be expensive.
I started out with a canoe. Loved it. A neat way to go if you'll be boating & paddling without a motor. A motor sure makes it much easier getting around though.

OhioTC18

You can always put a trolling motor on a canoe if you like to fish too.
I had a 14' jon boat for a few years. I used a trolling motor on it. It was REAL slow. Then got a 6HP evinirude, which my my favorite lake's limit. Hauled it in the back of and on top of a station wagon. :lol:

AllenOK

Doc, I've NEVER bought a new vehicle. Always used. I cannot afford a new motorboat. I've been looking at used motorboats, until someone I worked with suggested I just get a canoe or kayak. That person also mentioned that I wouldn't have to tag/title said canoe or kayak. However, if I understand how the State of Oklahoma works in regards to boats, if it floats, it has to be tagged, irregardless of size. Technically, a floating lawnchair needs to be tagged, although game wardens and OK Lake Patrols officers don't normally check titles/tags on inflatables, floating chairs, someone riding a log, etc.

I have thought about a jon boat as well. I don't really want a bass boat. I need something with gunwhales or rails that I can easily mount rod-holders onto. You can legally have 7 poles in the water, per person, in most waters, unless said lakes have further restrictions.

I have seen where someone took some steel framing, drilled it, and use that to mount rod holders onto, then mounted the steel framing to the aft deck of his bass boat.

waybomb

I'd rather be blown
Find a used boat in the area that has been already set up for fishing in your area. Just drive around and look what's in people's yards. Stop by and ask when you find a nice small jon boat. You may be surprised.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Yep, what Fred /waybomb said. Also check craigslist.org and your local buy/sell/trade papers. This is a good time of year to find a good buy. Price wise I'd guess you'd be at 1 to 2k for a setup jon boat. But even a canoe will run over 500, so be prepared.