Photos of trip to Alaska

JDM

This will be an on going project as I will need to have the Admiral scan in the photos from the old albums, and she will only do a few at a time. The photos start at the dock at Port Townsend, WA and head north from there. :sorry:

Moments 2.jpg

PNW.jpg

PNW 001.jpg

PNW 002.jpg

PNW 003.jpg

JDM

Doc the two photos are of Bev and I checking through Customs, the other two are taken in Desolation Sound. I will get more photos up asap. Bev and I spent most of the day digging up the water meter in order to repair a leak and we are pooped. When Bev and I were on the boat we could go for about 3 weeks on 150 gal. of water. The leak we repaired probably wasted about 2000 gal. for the month on it's own. I sure hope we got it fixed. MORE TO FOLLOW. JD

JDM

Doc, here are more photos. The 1st is a quiet anchorage; the 2nd is of us digging clams at low tide; the 3rd is of us setting the crab trap; 4th is of Bev and I crossing the Queen Charlotte Straits. If you look close you can see a cruse ship along with a nice trawler heading north. Photo 5 is of Mate and I looking across from the mainland to Calvert island at the north end of the Queen Charlotte's. MORE TO FOLLOW.

PNW 004.jpg

PNW 005.jpg

PNW 006.jpg

PNW 007.jpg

PNW 008.jpg

Last edited:

JDM

The above photos. Doc, the 1st photo is of one of the most beautiful anchorages I have ever seen. Photo 2 is of Bev beach combing on the Pacific Ocean side of Calvert Island; the 3rd photo is at the docks at Ocean Falls, a ghost town. All the buildings you see were abandoned at the time we were there. The other two photos are of Orcas feeding. MORE TO FELLOW

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Absolutely Gorgeous! What a trip that must've been.
Thanks for sharing. I'm loving it. :D

JDM

Doc, the 1st photo is of Moments at anchor in front of a 3000ft water fall. I had to use two anchors here as the forward anchor is in about 60 or 70ft of water and the stern anchor is in about 15 ft of water. I am just hooked on the edge of a steep underwater slope and the stern anchor is keeping the forward anchor dug in. I also added a 20lb anchor sentinel to the forward anchor rode to keep the rode taut at low tide. 2nd is of taking a bath at Bishop Hot Springs. The 3rd is of a fishing boat starting to cross the Dixon Entrance. This stretch of water is not for the faint of heart. Need to have your "ship" together before you attempt this crossing. Once you cross this stretch of water most insurance policies become no good. The 4th photo is taken in the old red light district of Ketchikan, AK. Just being a sailor. The 5th photo is of a typical "sunny" day in southeast Alaska. The 6th is taken in Wrangle, AK. The 7th is looking north as we departed Petersburg, AK. MORE TO FELLOW

PNW 014.jpg

PNW 015.jpg

PNW 016.jpg

PNW 017.jpg

PNW 018.jpg

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Awesome. They just keep getting better and better. :thumb: Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is there more to come? ;D

Bamby

Beautiful pictures thanks for sharing them. I've heard so many good things about Alaska and how beautiful it is. And you're photo's just contribute to what others have said.

JDM

Doc, we installed a wood heater in the boat for the trip to Alaska and along with that came the responsibility of gathering wood. The heater really worked out so well. Nothing like a rip roaring fire to dry the boat out and make it cozy warm down below on a normal wet day in southeast Alaska. One of the things we looked forward to were trips to the beach to gather wood and let Mate stretch his legs and mark his territory. He, like all sailors, loved shore leave. Our day to day activity varied with what was at hand. Some days we would pick berries if they were to be had; some days get firewood; some days Bev would make bread. She would mix up the yeast bread dough and place it in the warm engine room where the bread would rise. Nothing like the smell of baked bread in a warm boat on a cold and dreary day. I would either make a big pot of stew or beans as the fresh baked bread would go good with it. Some times we had fresh fish. We always ate very well. We only needed to re-provision about every 3 weeks and then it was usually for the staples -milk and beer. The 1st photo is of the installation of the heater (wood stove). The 2nd is of Bev and I gathering firewood: the further north we went the more we needed the heater. MORE TO FOLLOW

PNW 022.jpg

PNW 023.jpg

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Good idea. Fire on a boat is kinda scary, but it looks like you set it up just fine. Nice looking little heater, glad to hear it worked out so well for you. My wife loves looking for specail treasures on any beach. She always manages to find something.
What a great vacation you guys had. :D

JDM

Doc, the next 5 photos are of Tracey Arm. This is a deep fjord that ends at the base of North and South Sawyer Glaciers. If you look close at the last photo you will see a excursion boat near the glacier and a seal sunning on one of the icebergs out in front of South Sawyer Glacier. If you ever make a trip to that part of the world, please see Tracey Arm. MORE TO FOLLOW

PNW 024.jpg

PNW 025.jpg

PNW 026.jpg

PNW 027.jpg

PNW 021.jpg

Bamby

Don't know about anyone else but I've enjoyed following your pictures on this thread. You've captured some beautiful scenery up there and I'm grateful you're willing to share it with us. Have you had any success at catching any of the various fish that are available there. I can't imagine the 200 lb halibut I sometimes hear about. Filling a whole freezer with just one fish that would be a real trip. Hope you continue to have a great trip and a good time.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Heck no, you can't quit. I missed these last pics until now. Been busy ...you know how it goes.
These are GREAT. I'm enjoying each new batch. if you have them to share, please continue. Sometimes, this thread can get lost between the auto RSS feed for boats for sale. :pat: