2007 powerboat shipments down 13 percent

waybomb

I'd rather be blown
CHICAGO – Traditional powerboat wholesale shipments, including outboard, sterndrive and inboard boats, declined 13 percent in 2007 in terms of unit volume and 8 percent in terms of wholesale dollars, according to the December Monthly Shipment Report (MSR) released by the National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA) today.

Advanced data available through December 2007 indicates last year’s declines were spread across most major traditional powerboat categories, with one exception: ski boats, which were up slightly less than one percent for the year, NMMA reported.

“While it is disappointing to see double-digit declines for unit sales in 2007, this was not unexpected and is a clear reflection of the current U.S. economy,” said NMMA President Thom Dammrich. “Consumer confidence is down, and as a result fewer people are buying new boats. However, the recent Fed funds rate cut and Congressional stimulus package should have a positive impact on sales in the second half of 2008, hopefully resulting in improved sales activity for recreational boats.”

NMMA’s MSR tracks manufacturers’ shipments to dealers for both boats and outboard engines using a control group of boat and engine manufacturers. The 2007 boat control group represents about 77 percent of the overall boat marketplace while the outboard engine control group represents approximately 95 percent of the market, according to the association.

For more information about NMMA’s December 2007 MSR or to subscribe to the monthly reports, contact NMMA market research manager Vicky Yu at (312) 946-6261; vyu@nmma.org.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
13% :eek: That is huge! I hate to see what this years % will be, probably be down another 13% or more with gas even higher now than it was last year.

Most don't understand that a weekend of fun might cost you twenty bucks more. :pat: I sure don't like it, but it's nothing to get excited over.