Off shore boating

Bigal

I just signed up as boating is something I do everyday in Panama . I live partime on a small Island .

We have been looking at a new boat to purchase for Panama . We flew down to see the Twin Vee's at the Miami Boat show along with others that were availible a few years ago . Some very nice boats .
At that time I was also considering purchasing a 4788 Bayliner that we would use to travel the Bahamas . We ended up just passing up buying anything until we settled to the area we wanted to be . Thank God we waited !The draft on 4788 Bayliner is a little much for the Islands of Panama .
So now we have found a boat builder in Panama City that builds the Carib Pro boat . We are now getting prices for a 25 ' center console with canopy , storage boxes and twin 100 HP engines . Looks like we will be getting the new 4 cyl motors ,probably in a Yamaha brand . Yamaha seems to be the motor of choice down there and most shops carry parts and work on then now .
AS of now I am running my little 31 foot Cayuco with a 40 HP in Panama . They are carved from one tree . Very Heavy and carry a ton of material . They are perfect if you are building a home and need to carry heavy stuff and construction material . You name it and I have carried it in this boat .

DSC04953.jpg

OhioTC18

That is a sweet looking boat Al. It's hard to imagine something that narrow could carry that much weight.

Bigal

Try 2500 pounds or more ! I carried that many times .

One time we even flipped a Commerial trailer mounter Gas driven Concrete mixer in that baby . It was big,heavy and hanging over on boat sides by 2 feet ! I even had 6 or 7 guys in it with me .:eek:That was about 3000 pounds . Kinda scary now that I look back at it .

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Good post Al. Neat long boat you got there. A 48' Bayliner would be huge. See my post in the Open forum with the picture of the Sunsation 32'. Nice. :D

Wannafish

floppy member
Good post Al. Neat long boat you got there. A 48' Bayliner would be huge. See my post in the Open forum with the picture of the Sunsation 32'. Nice. :D

Couldn't find the picture you refer too, but I'm looking at a 32' Sunsation.
Cheap enough at $26K. Just gotta get Momma interested in going fast again.:bash:

Wannafish

floppy member
It's a '91. Shows like new. It's a repo, and the PO didn't winterize it.
The motors have been replaced with ~300hr. 454's. I've been thinking seriously about it...and in the mean time ran across someone who knew the boat. They hinted that it may have had some water incursion into the gelcoat at one time. I looked it over a little and didn't see any issues. Would want to check the transom for water before buying it though.
I'll try to remember to download the pic I got of it - stored outside.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Looks like a good buy. I'm sure the marine place knows what they are worth but that seems cheap to me. Course it is 15 years old.
The lines and design makes it look small to me. I'm sure there is no trailer with it so that would run another 1500 to 2k. Wish I had an extra 25k sitting around ....then I'd have to buy a 30k truck to haul it. :pat: Then I couldn't afford the gas for it. :(