Where is your favorite boating spot?

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Where to you like to boat?

My favorite is the Ohio River. We live on a 45 miles strech of the river (damn to damn). Its about 1/2 mile wide an 45 miles to race, play and float. Two fair sized cities right close, Parkersburg, WV and Marietta Oh.

Here's a couple of pics from last summer:

DSCF0010r.JPG

DSCF0002r.JPG

OhioTC18

Doc, the most I've seen of the Ohio is crossing it numerous times. But that must be a fantastic place to play around. Around my local area, there are a few good sized lakes to boat in, mostly Alum Creek, Deer Creek, Hoover Reservoir. Also there is the Scioto River with Griggs Reservoir and O'shaughnessy Reservior. Nothing here would compare to your play place though.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I agree Jerry. I lived in Columbus for 18 years. I was already used to the river, so I checked out all the waterways in the area. I was surprised to see that we had a much better playground down here in rural SE Ohio. The folks with the bigger boats in Columbus either go to Lake Erie (3hrs), Lake Cumberland (6 hours but awesome) or come down to our part of the Ohio which is about 2 hours away. Some camp grounds here are predominantly populated by folks from Columbus. It is a party atmosphere all summer long. :thumb: :D

OhioTC18

I've heard Cumberland is huge. And very clear water.

Yeah some folks in Columbus like to party.......just not in Columbus.....:)

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Cumberland is GREAT. I'm hoping Crums will share some pics in this thread. He's been going down there about every year for awhile now. He's one of those Columbus Partiers. :D

Crums

Wakeboarder Extraordinaire
I boat on the Ohio, Cumberland, and when in Columbus Griggs/O'shaughnessy. My favorite has to be Cumberland, the lake is so large and it's really easy to find a finger that goes for miles. The water is very clean, it's odd to be able to see your feet while swimming after being in the Ohio river all of your life! I may check out Lake Norris this summer, I've been told it's cleaner and less populated than Cumberland.

0329397-R3-052-24Apro.jpg

aaaa.jpg

OhioTC18

In the Columbus Dispatch this morning, it was reported that in excess of 415,000 watercraft are registered in Ohio. Franklin County (Central Ohio) had the most out of all the counties in Ohio with over 26,000 registered watercraft. I think 2/3 of that number is at Alum Creek Lake on a nice weekend :)

Crums

I went to Alum creek 1 time, they need to have a limit on how many boats get on the lake. I know it's not bad through the week but the weekend are nuts!

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
:rofl: I think you are right. I was at Sizzle marine on Morse one day and BS'ing with another guy there. He was saying if you are bored any Saturday afternoon just go up to one of the Alum creek launch ramps, and sit a spell. Most likely you'll see a few fights. One boat gets to the docks to pull out, and another truck is there with his trailer to pull out. Both think they have the right of way, so they fight over who gets to go first while the rest are waiting their turn at the ramps. It's a big ole cluster F***.
I am surprised to hear that Franklin County has the most boats registered out of the whole state, especially with Cleveland right on the lake and Cinci right on the Ohio river.

OhioTC18

I am surprised to hear that Franklin County has the most boats registered out of the whole state, especially with Cleveland right on the lake and Cinci right on the Ohio river.

Cuyahoga County came in second

aarathi

I am from Kerala in India country. My favorite boating spot is kumarakom in Kottayam district of Kerala.

Last edited:

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Nope, where is Lake Norris?

Going south on I-77 through North Carolina I've seen Lake Norman. It looks like an awesome boating place. I saw a news blip a couple of years ago where a 28ft Baja wrecked and somehow ended up on the Interstate. Can't imagine how that happened.
I think I saved the pic .....I'll try to find it and post it somewhere on here.

Now ...tell us about Lake Norris.

Crums

It's in Tennessee just south of Kentucky off of 75. We are planning a summer trip down there this year and wanted to get someone's opinion of the lake and type of boating we'll find. I've heard that it's a lot like cumberland without all the go fast boats, more houseboats and ski boats. Not to many straight open areas for the go fast guys to open them up, many fingers to ski in.

W'nt Crazy

Norris lake is about 45 minutes from here. It is part of the TVA. Tennesse Valley Authority. I have never been on it but have driven around it and visited some of the marinias, it is very popular with the house boat crowd. I am told that if you are not familiar with it to have a good map or GPS for the coves can reach far back from the main lake and there are islands that will make on cove look like another. The TVA maintains a very good web site that lists lake levels, discharge times etc. Even thought they are lakes we do experience a 30 foot seasonal tide. They draw the lakes down in the winter. flood control.. We are experienceing a drought here, last summer they started pulling them down for power (due to excessive temp) lots of air conditioners running and we were at winter pool by Sept. It is a very pretty lake when not at winter levels, you wont see many go fast boats. Lots of history in the imediate vicinity Oak Ridge, Knowville are just minutes away..

kenbob

What's up, Doc?
My favorite boating spot would have to be there on the Ohio River by your place! Another favorite spot of mine is Indian Lake, in Logan County, Ohio -- my aunt and uncle have a place there -- it's a big lake with an interesting history, and a good party atmosphere -- with a few fun restaurants and bars right on the lake. It's only about an hour northwest of Columbus, up Route 33.