Congressional act to help boat service and repair

waybomb

I'd rather be blown
Boating Industry
Tuesday April 29, 2008

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. – When the U.S. House of Representatives approved the U.S. Coast Guard Authorization Act Thursday, it included a provision to provide targeted relief to the recreational marine servicing and repair industry, as well as to the entire recreational boating community, the Marine Industries Association of South Florida said in a press release.

The provision provides a complete exemption for the service and repair sector of the recreational boating industry from the requirement for coverage under the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act, as long as state workers’ compensation coverage is in place. The provision in the Coast Guard bill also provides specific relief to 165’ or under recreational boat manufacturers.

The provision will result in additional jobs, more competitive pay rates and will aid marine business retention, MIASF said.

“If enacted, this legislation will have a major positive economic impact on South Florida as well as the rest of the country’s recreational marine industry,” said Kristina Hebert, MIASF past president and vice president of operations for Ward’s Marine Electric.

The Act was approved with a bi-partisan vote in the House of Representatives and efforts will now focus on securing passage in the U.S. Senate.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I'm not sure of what affect this will have but it seems like it's to little to late. The marine industry is bound to decline with gas prices what they are. Some of us are already hooked. We're addicted. I'm afraid we won't have the new influx that comes most years and it will hurt the industry in a big way.
I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

waybomb

I'd rather be blown
The entire industry did it to itself. I don't really believe gas prices to be a deterrent. The cost of gas wouldn't cover a decent vacation in any other venue. Those that want the freedom of boating do so.

So gas is an extra buck a gallon this year? Jeesh, I use maybe 3000 gallons a year. That 3000 bucks more. And I am buring expensive fuel at crazy rates. I am not the typical boater.

So let's take a typical boat, which I believe to be a single engine <300 hp setup. Probably use an average of 40 gallons a week for 20 weeks (that's a lot of boating). 800 gallons = 800 bucks more than last year. If 800 bucks drives somebody away, they weren't boaters.

But this industry makes people sick. Marinas regularly screw over customers and have the attitude of , "well, you don't like it? Where ya gonna go?" I have so many stories from my neighbors. And they all try to get me to work on their boats - I want to boat, not work!

The manufacturers cop out on warrantees with the bs of "we didn't make that part, go to the manufacturer."

Crazy markups at every turn in the process of owning a boat.

Poorly trained or back yard mechanics because the pay chases the good ones away.

The water cops that won't leave some of us alone, even though we have the highest level of safety equipment on board and in use. Yes, I wear my Lifelines whenever under way, as does anybody else that wants a ride. I rarely see boaters wearing any type of jacket, much les a $400 Lifeline jacket. The water cops don't bother that group of 13 people in that 17' Bayliner.

I could go on and on - but I fully believe the basic boater gets screwed at every turn. The ones I know that have gotten out of boating usually cite the Marinas or the mechanics, not the cost of gas or insurance.

Fortunately, I have the ability to do all my own work from new installation, rebuild, troubleshoot, fiberglas, etc, and I LIKE to do it, so I am unsadled with some of the crazy invoiced fees I hear about.

Nope, I'll keep boating, even if gas goes to ten bucks a gallon.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Good answer Fred, and I agree. However I was talking about those just getting into the boating habit. I've had some come up to me and ask if I'm selling my boats. Of course not I'll tell them. They simply can't believe it. One who what shopping for their first boat last year have decided against it because of the cost of gas. So, I presumed other potential new boaters will also be influenced by fuel costs.
I've done the math like you and understand gas is NOT the biggest cost to boating, nor does the increase equate to a big change in costs for the boating season. You average of 40 gallons a week comes very close to what we use in the Baja. Now with the houseboat we sure go through more than 40 a week, but in overall costs it is not that much more.
So I agree those of us who boat will not be deterred, but those selling boats are having a hard time and I think that is because we do not have the new boater influx that we used to have.
Though, I could be wrong. We sure are gaining new members and seeing some folks looking for boats. I'm basing my guesses on feelings of a few folks who I have talked to about buying boats for the first time.