coast guard regs, Title 33

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Has anyone heard of or experienced owning a boat that you do not title, you sign a paper saying in time of need the government could commandeer your vessel at their discretion?
Would you even consider such an option? If you do it you don't have to pay tax on the boat ... but you might have to give it away when you need it most.
I wonder if the government would pay you for the use of the vessel?
Previous owners of our houseboat did it this way. They lived in WV where you have to pay tax when you buy the boat, and you pay a 'personnel property' tax every year, over and over again on the boat as long as you own it. Maybe that made the offer seem more lucrative. :confused:

waybomb

I'd rather be blown
I've had a number of documented boats. In Wisc, if documented, you don't need to put numbers on the boat, just the two stickers on the lowest part of the visible transom. Same in California.

For more expensive boats, there is a clear record of title when documented. For smaller boats, probably not worth the effort. But whe buying an expensive one, a current clear document is more or less clear title to the boat.

PV is documented. My 42 Carver and my 28 Carver were documented. My Glaspar, Barron, Zoom, and Jetskis are not.