Marietta Stern Wheeler Festival

Bamby

The Marietta, Oh. Stern Wheeler Festival will be here before you know it. I've had quite a few people sort of pushing for us to attend and go with our little pontoon houseboat. Their is no doubt I'd run on down the Muskingum River and enjoy the cruise if the Ohio Parks Commission had seen fit to keep the locks open on Tuesday also. But since they'll be closed Tuesday and if I attended the festival I'd have to miss most of Sundays events to start back upriver for Zanesville. I'm giving strong thought of trailering her on down somewhere close to Marietta and slipping her in somewhere. Does anyone know of a good safe, sheltered boat ramp in the Marietta vinisity they are willing to recommend. By sheltered I mean not to much current to fight with, a 35 ft. houseboat is struggle enough by itself, if you follow my drift here.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
The best public boat ramp in that area is across the river at Williamstown. Right across from the mouth of the Muskingum. Marietta Boat Club has their own ramp (I think). They take part in some of my boat clubs activities and they have some pretty big boats. You might google for their phone number and give them a call. Tell them a BYC member (Greg Perrine) reccomended that you call them. They know me to see me but I doubt they know my last name. So don't be surprised if they say: "Who?" :D
I'll see what I can find out about other ramps in the area. Marietta Harbor sells gas on the river there and they might also know of ramps that you could use. Worth a shot.
Good luck. I hope you can make it. We'll be there at the BYC tie up (BYC = Blennerhassett Yacht Club)

Bamby

Thanks for the reply Doc and I know there has to be some good ramps around that area somewhere. Even St.Marys area would not be out of the question for the Ohio River is a nice enough float / cruse to also enjoy the views. In talking to others up our way they express the bust butt run on Monday to get back is also the reason they chose to trailer theirs down also. The ones who do boat down leave on Thursday and spend the night around Beverly and arrive in Marietta sometime Friday. I know everyone enjoys the pleasurable trip down there, but there is never anything good said about the hurried trip back upriver to make all the locks on Monday especially after consuming far too many resources all weekend long. My boat may be fast enough to do it but I'd sure burn a lot of fuel pushing it that hard that far and it would take all the enjoyment out of the ride.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
If you went to St. Mary's you would have to lock through to get to Marietta. That can be a pain also ...depending on timing.
Another option for you ....
From Beverly you could drop down 339 to Rt. 7 and take it into Belpre. Belpre has a nice boat ramp, right across from Blennerhassett Island and there are no locks between there and the Marietta Sternwheeler Festivale. :thumb:
We dock about a mile up river from that ramp. You'll see a big ole BYC on the Ohio side of the river (on the left as you are going up river).
Kokomo's is also right there. A nice resturant at the point of the Little Kanawah and the Ohio Rivers. And Ricky D's is a little north of there on the Ohio. Both have docks and love to have boaters stop in for dinner or lunch.

Bamby

Well it's upon us now. We've decided to run the river down to Marietta now. The weather sounds as if it's going to be decent for the festival, and the truth is we really do want to enjoy the scenery along the river on the way down and back up again. We've asked a lot of people a lot of questions about the feasibility of acquiring fuel along the way, though inconvenient with fuel cans it's possible to acquire just a short walk from river in quite a few places along the way. We're looking forward to the adventure and the experience, and hopefully the river will not get any lower than it is now. Just got back from the river, and we managed to do a through job of destroying a prop and also wiping off most of the skeg this weekend boating with such low water conditions. If any of you attend the event feel free to give us a shout if you care to and we'll share a shot of something together.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
We plan on being there ....should arrive sometime Saturday afternoon. We'll be on our houseboat "Sotally Tober". White and light blue. Hope to catch up with you there. :thumb: We hope to dock at the point of the Muskingum and the Ohio (north side).

There is a gas pump on the water right at the mouth of the Muskingum. I figure that should help you. You only have to make it one way, then gas up before heading back up river.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Didn't see or hear from you Bamby, did you make it down.
They put on one of the best firework shows ever. Hopefully you got to see it.

Bamby

I made it there Doc and if you were to have looked directly behind your boat you'd have seen us on the confluence sandbar where the Ohio and Muskingum River meet. We just got home about an hour ago ourselfs from the trip. I was a little to intimated by all the signs of $$$$$$ where you'd slipped your boat, and with me wearing just my good time river clothes I thought their may be a confrontation about just where I thought I was going if you know what I mean. It is one nice event to attend and the river trip down and back was memorial also. Everyone seemed to have a good time for sure, and I'm going to have to do it again.

menupop.gif
menupop.gif

IMG_0464_1.JPG

IMG_0481-01.JPG

Bamby

Actually Doc's boat is in both pictures. If you look almost smack in the middle of the top one, the light blue one with the life ring is Doc's. In the original picture a person could actually read the it's name. But when I reduced a copy to post it became illegible. I took a lot of photo's of our trip down and back up the Muskingum and the actual event. It will take a while to sort through them all. I will add some or most of them to my web album when I get-r-done but it could take awhile. Fooling with pictures is time consuming with the software I'm using.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Good pics Bamby. We were kicked out of that spot early Sunday. I was not ready to go. My wife was not feeling so well and had laid back down to 'sleep it off'. But with help from other club members (handling the ropes and letting go at the right time) I was able to maneuver out of the tight spot.
Normally we are right in that general area but we have twice the space because we transport docks to hook onto the little barge / dock that we rigged up there.

No need to be concerned with your river garb. Heck we all were in our best river garb. :yum: Most were members of the Blennerhassett Yacht Club or BYC as we call it. I know it would have been hard for you to maneuver in close to give me a shout. To bad. We are talking of simply anchoring out next year ...but that's a long ways off. We'll see what happens tween now and then.

I have not even off loaded the pics from the camera yet. Like you said that can be time consuming. I'll get to it when the weather cools down. It looks like we still have a good boating weekend coming up. Hate to see it go to waste. :D

So did the fireworks impress you too? I thought they were awesome!!!!! :thumb:

Bamby

The fireworks were awesome to see. How they make shells that blow up and make smiley faces is beyond me. The first smiley I thought was an illusion but they shot a few more and I realized I wasn't seeing things. The dancing jellyfish were something to see also weren't they? I may actually have been parked in the best place down there to actually view the fireworks. It appeared all the smoke and debris floated over your parking area from where I was at and we had a clear unobstructed view of the entire show.
We had a really nice trip down and return trip back up the river our-selfs. We did make a brief outing on the Ohio, but due to all the go fasts and all their wakes we found it unpleasant and uncomfortable on our boat and just parked it until we were ready to leave again to go upriver. Their were plenty of good natured other boaters around us and everyone appeared to have a good time.
We really took our good old time returning back up river, enjoying all the scenic views the entire way along. We spent the night at Malta they've got some nice docks there, along with available power, restrooms and showers, and guess what in this day and age? It's all free with no charges whatsoever to anyone. It's also a easy run up from the Ohio, you may want to consider sometime for yourself. Food and drink is also available at some of the local establishments there.
Here are a couple photo's of the Malta docks where we stayed.
menupop.gif

menupop.gif

IMG_0526-01.JPG

IMG_0527-01.JPG

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Good pics. I have to admit I've never heard of Malta. :confused: I'll have to google it and muskingum and see if that gets me close.
I have a hard time leaving the Ohio River. It's so nice and big. Even starting up the Little Kanawaha (which is bigger than the Muskingum) it seems so tight to me. The one time I did start up it there was a cross wind so that I backed out of there before I had gone 100 ft. I know we'll fit, but I'm not comfortable having to whip around a 50' houseboat in places where I never know how deep it is as you near the bank. Our big girl needs some space to turn around. :yum:
Did you have a floatila of boats cruising upriver with you?

Edit to add, normally the smoke and debree flows to the WV side of the river and we had a clear shot of the fireworks. Last saturday a fair share of it came our way. I had ash on the boat and little pieces of debree. Not to bad, but you could tell we were in the fallout area. Our seats for the fireworks made us feel like they were setting them off just for us. I talked to someone who saw them from the WV side and he felt the same, the fireworkd shot right at them. Truly amazing how they do that. Fireworks have come a long long way.

Bamby

If your houseboat is a twin screw you and I both know you can turn them around in their own length, I just wish mine would handle so well. One fellow upriver has a 78 footer and there are others almost as big upriver at the Zanesville Yacht Club and they can get-r-down and back again. We were running with one 50 ft. Harbor Master houseboat piloted by Bill who would only ask for one gate opening and he could run it right in the lock and put her up against the wall and make it look easier than most of the people in the pontoon boats. He received a lot of complements for his piloting skills from most all the lock-tenders along the way. I guess you could say we had a flotilla of sorts going though most of them ran away from us, only to wait for me and Bill at the next lock. Here's a few photo's taken at the Beverly Lock, they are almost all friends we commonly boat with all the time. Not best pictures though lighting was to harsh.

menupop.gif
menupop.gif

IMG_0499-01.JPG

IMG_0500-01.JPG

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Good pics Bamby. :thumb:
I'd never seen the Muskingum locks before (from inside).

Sure, mine is twin screw. That does make it very nice. But it is also like driving a billboard, the wind can play havoc with your turn. In a tight spot that's no fun. I know I could do it, but I love the openness / bigness of the Ohio. I still have plenty of places to see on it. A trip to Tittsburg er I mean Pittsburgh is in our future for sure. :D

Bamby

Well I guess you like the big waters of the Ohio. But for me I think I'll always prefer somewhat smaller waters with some room to travel. We had a awesome time but the trip down was probably as enjoyable as the event itself (well almost). I kind of like being able to see and enjoy the scenery on both banks as I travel along and that's something a person can't enjoy on big waters like the Ohio. My DIA has been pestering about pictures from out trip and I went ahead and posted most all of them in this album. Some are a bit older and I added about a hundred new ones yesterday and today. Hope you can enjoy a picture thread of traveling the Muskingum.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Good pics. The Muskingum gets bigger in some spots as you go up it. Looks like plenty of room to me. And you have pics of some boats my size ....so I see where you are coming from. :thumb: Might have to try it one day.
I fully understand, and agree, the trip there is about as much fun as the event. I love riding on the river.
Glad to see you made it up to the festivities in town. We made it up for a little bit late Saturday afternoon. Looked like everyone else had the same idea cause the town was sure packed. My wife had to try some deep fried oreos. :puke: I love oreos but sure do not need them deep fried. :yum:

Bamby

Note: I Revived an Older Posting

Anyone going this year? I've heard this is one of the years that they do the waterfall fireworks off of the bridge, and they are supposed to be really special to see. Some of the folks who traveled down with us last year have dropped out and not going, but then some others are now talking of making the trip some for the first time. It's now less than two weeks away and we're hoping to nail down some affirmations of who may be keeping us company for the trip or ride down the Muskingum.

I'm assuming you'll be there Doc and I'll keep an eye out for your boat, and let's hope for fair weather and sailing for the festival weekend.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Yep, we'll be there for sure but we got kicked out of our normal docking spot because of the US Navy LST that will be there.

So ....yep, we'll be there but not sure if we'll be anchored out somewhere or if we'll find a spot to dock. Anchoring out is okay by me ...then we'll mosey on down river after the fireworks show. We've done that before and it's not to bad. An hour and a half cruise at 4 or 5 mph.

Here is a pic of the LST 325 that will be at the festival (it was on it's way to Pittsburgh and went right past our yacht club. Our houseboat is right there in the pic, with the blue cooler on the nose and power blue stripe).

LST325_ourHB_r.jpg