Wouldn't you know it!

bdavis

For the past two years, I was the one having boat problems at the beginning of the season.

With my old boat on opening weekend of fishing season two yrs ago, I blew a piston in my 60hp mariner coming across the lake. My dad had to tow me in 7 miles. Didn't even look at my boat all summer as I didn't have the funds to fix it. Spent roughly 3 months the following winter tearing the motor completly apart in my garage and rebuilding it with new pistons/rings/ water pump/carb kits etc..... Got halfway across the lake last season and the same piston blew again. I decided that I wasn't going to put any more money into that motor so I put the boat for sale and sold it in 3 days for more $$$ than I paid for it with a running engine. I liked the previous boat but it was older and I couldn't justify spending a whole whack of $$$ on a new 60hp engine for an old boat. So, I went out and bought my current boat for the same $$$ I would have had invested in my old boat had I bought a new motor for it.

So, in the past two years, I've had to rely on my dad's boat to get me up the lake to go fishing. This year, the tides have turned. My dad decided yesterday to tear his lower end apart and change the water pump. His is an '89 Johnson 40hp. Apparently, he kinda screwed something up when he was putting it back together and now it won't shift into reverse. So it looks like he will be relying on my boat for the next week or so to go fishing since we've got a friend up from Michigan for a week right now to go fishing with us.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Yep, the tides always turn. It's good to have boating family and friends for sure. And it's a good feeling when you get to pay back the help they gave you. :thumb:
Eventually they all break.