Cumberland Striper fishing

Crums

Wakeboarder Extraordinaire
Has anyone been fishing on Cumberland? I've gone twice and plan to go this spring again. It's nice to go with a guide and let them do all the work( if you can't tell, I'm a fair weather fisherman). It costs a couple bucks but I cought the biggest fish in my life there, I believe it was around 14-15 lbs.

Crums

This is a small one a buddy of mine pulled in last spring, believe it or not that fish was a meal for three. That was a long day of fishing, 8 hours and only one fish.

kells fish.jpg

Billygull

I love going down to Cumberland, great fishing and beautiful, but it is worth it to have a guide the first few times to go down there. I caught a nice 11 inch striper the last time I went down.
Billy
boat insurance

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Good pic Crums!!!!! That's the trip I missed going on last year. :( My own fault.

Welcome to the forum Billygull. Enjoy and post often.

Crums

I love going down to Cumberland, great fishing and beautiful, but it is worth it to have a guide the first few times to go down there. I caught a nice 11 inch striper the last time I went down.
Billy
boat insurance

Your absolutely right, going out with a guide is the way to go. The first time we went down we had now idea what we were doing and didn't catch a thing. I'm pretty confident that I could go and catch a bunch if I had the propper gear.

Billygull

Your absolutely right, going out with a guide is the way to go. The first time we went down we had now idea what we were doing and didn't catch a thing. I'm pretty confident that I could go and catch a bunch if I had the propper gear.

Oh yeah, it makes all the difference in the world! My dad refuses the very concept of having a guide when we go on our annual fishing trips. So we usually split into two parties - one goes with dad, the other with the guide. Guess who catches more fish? We do. My dad doesn't care - he's so stubborn. I guess he feels like it's cheating and that it takes the fun out of fishing.

~Billy Gull~
boat insurance

Crums

Heck, if I'm catching fish it isn't cheating! My cousin went down last summer with his girlfriends family and I guess her dad had the same attitude as your dad, they didn't catch a thing! He said her dad was reading the reports and getting advice from everywhere and everyone. The way I see it, you have to be out there daily to become knowledgeable and the $375.00 I pay the charter buys a lot of knowledge!

billbill1

I've been striper fishing on Texoma and used a guide. We caught our limit the two days that we fished and it was $100 each per day. The biggest fish caught in our party (of 6) was 8 lbs though. Very strong fish and fun to catch. We used live shad for bait. Some co-workers fished Beaver lake some years ago and one of them only caught one fish, it weighed 37 lbs. That was worth the trip in his opinion. He has it mounted and it's a beautiful fish.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Welcome to Net Boat Talk Bill. Glad to see you signed up over here. :thumb:
Enjoy and post often. :D

Crums

I'm heading down to cumberland this weekend for another try at a big one, wish me luck!

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Good luck Josh. Heres to a great trip! :beer:
Be sure to take pics to share when you get back. :D

Crums

What a day saturday was! The weather was beautiful, the lake was smooth as glass, and the fishing SUCKED! We caught 6 fish (over 12 hours) and not one of them were keepers. We caught 4 stripers that were 16-20 inches (24 is a keeper),1 kentucky bass, and the biggest small mouth I'd ever caught (16incher, 18 is a keeper). I almost punched our guide when he told me I had to throw the small mouth back! Oh well, that's fishing for you. What's everyone say, a bad day fishing is better than the best day at work?

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
What's everyone say, a bad day fishing is better than the best day at work?

Definitely!!!!! I'm sure it would have been nice to be able to keep them but just catching a few fish that size would be fun. And out on the water all day on a nice sunny spring day like last Saturday was, how could you beat it? :beer: :D

I've never seen a small mouth bass that size. I hope you got a pic or two.

Crums

No I didn't get a picture of it,I was to busy arguing about throwing it back to take a pic.

That was the most expensive sunburn I ever got!

pugger

This is a small one a buddy of mine pulled in last spring, believe it or not that fish was a meal for three. That was a long day of fishing, 8 hours and only one fish.
A small one?!?!

I'd give an :a1: for that one! Heck, I'd go nuts if I caught one like that over a 24 hour period :applause: