Wax vs Polish

Crums

Wakeboarder Extraordinaire
I've heard it both ways that you should use polish not wax, as well as using polish then wax. I've always used Mcguire's (spelling?) 3 step, oxydation remover, then polish, then wax. I've always had an end result I was pleased with, but if I'm spending precious boating time applying wax when I don't need to then I won't bother with it this year. Also has anyone used any of the Mother's products yet and their powerball (I saw this on pleasure boater today)?

W'nt Crazy

If you don't have a lot of oxidation then you most likely just need to wax. Polish and componds have abbrasive material that grinds away at the surface and actually can and does remove gelcoat. Yes some waxes have abrasive in them allso but the are labeled in such a way the you know they do. Like "wax and restorer" if you are just looking to protect and keep the shine use a wax, but also use an electric buffer. apply wax to clean boat use application pad then remove wax with a buffing pad,, you will be amazed. One of the Mcquire waxs was the top rated wax last year. tested against many of the leading brands for shine, water shed, and longivity. I recently used a 3M buffing compound followed by Mcquires wax on my boat,during a recent haul out. everyone in the marinia thought I repainted it.,

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Good question Josh. I'll be interested in the replies too.

From another boat site I read that wax will build up and yellow the finish. Polish will wear off, but provides more of a shine than wax. Wax is put on to protect polish and shine, but in the long run can yellow and build up thus working against your primary goal of a great shine.

I also read that some of the polish products out now last for 1 year. One application per year. I can dig that for sure. :thumb: Wish I knew the name of them though. I'll see if I can dig out the info as this was over two years ago. :hide:

Crums

Wakeboarder Extraordinaire
I've been watching all of the boating programs and they're all pushing Mother's waxes and polishes. Another product I was impressed with was polyshine, it is an accrylic coating for the boats with wornout gelcoats. It looked like a great product but I wonder how user friendly it is?

waybomb

I'd rather be blown
I've used both Mary Kate boat polish and 2M boat polish. Wax just never left any of my boats looking as good. And wax seems to promote black streaks.

I' ve been using the MaryKate since about 1995, and the 3m for a couple of years.

Well, at least that's my experience.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I finally found the correspondence with another boater from a couple years ago.
Bill was in the race buisness. He was in charge of keeping the race boat finishes looking good. It was a challenging task for sure. His boat always had an impressive shine.

Bill said:
I use Race Glaze and Wizards. RG and Wizards are basically the same. Wizards was created from a former RG employee. I use these because I do not like wax. It can turn a hull yellow if too much wax is used, just like you get a wax build up on a floor. Wizards and RG is a polish and the more coats you put on, the deeper the shine gets. Now, I am very anal, so I polish my boat every week. If you only want to do the boat once or twice a season, there is a relatively new product out called Boat Shield. It has the shine of most polishes I use, which is good, but it outlast EVERYTHING 10 fold. I have experimented on some cars and a part of my boat and it is amazing. You can find info on Boat Shield at www.swipewipes.com. I highly recommend that stuff for long term care. The key with Boat shield is the the gel has to be in good shape to use it, no oxidation at all. You can find info about RG at www.mr-shine.com. The main reason I do mine every week is because of my business. When I go to the river, it has the just polished feel and look which helps me get business. Have I confused you yet??? Let me know if I can help at all!!

Bill

.....next one ......

Greg, for stubborn stains, the Long Haul Metal polish is great. I would put a normal polish over that after you removed the stain. I say that because I do not know how well the metal polish will protect the gel. I don't think well. I may be wrong on that though... As far as your oxidation, hard to say without seeing it, you can alway try a polish first, if that does not remove it, try a light compound. that should take care of it. One thing to do, if you have to use a light compound, wash the area between steps to close up the pous of the gel so the polish will not be "eatin" up by the gel.