Electrical Issues

Bt Doctur

Super Moderator
Staff member
First thing to check is the connector ends where thay attach. They should be clean and shiny.Clean with sandpaper or a wire brush. Just because you read voltage, you may not be passing the current.You can do a simple load test with a 12 volt assessory item such as , horn.trim motor, spotlight,etc.

OhioTC18

Also, if it's a battery cable connection, and it's corroded you just might want to replace the cable. The corrosion creeps up inside of the cable where you can't see it.

Bt Doctur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your right, I forgot that one, and don`t ever try to just extend a battery cable.
use the correct lenght the first time.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Good tips guys.
I found out the hard way that sometimes you can blow a fuse for no obvious reason. A few years ago out of nowhere my trim stopped working. Nothing at all. I later fount out I blew an inline fuse that is housed inside my engine compartment close to the lower unit. I now carry a spare, just in case. It's never happened again, but if it does, I'll be ready.

waybomb

I'd rather be blown
And bigger is better. And use marine grade tinned wire. Also, use self sealing shrink tubing on crimp joints. And don't use these crappy made-in-china crimpers. Buy a Klein long handled crimper.

Bt Doctur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Doc, speaking of fuses, never assume it`s good just because you can see the filament, always test with a meter. Somtimes it`s not that apparent .

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Doc, speaking of fuses, never assume it`s good just because you can see the filament, always test with a meter. Somtimes it`s not that apparent .

That's for sure. I've been bitten by 'assuming' one was good when it wasn't. Only takes a few seconds to test it and be sure.

How about battery boxes that completely enclose the batteries. I've seen boats set up both ways (with and without). The batteries have ALWAYS been tied down though. But are battery boxes required, or does it depend on the boat setup?

Bt Doctur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Batteries are to be secured, either screw the box down with the strap or use the strap mounts to secure everything.