Is boat traffic down where you are?

OhioTC18

There was an article in the local newspaper about the amount of boat traffic lately and the fuel prices at the marinas. Boat traffic here seems to drop a little as the price of fuel goes up. The cost of fuel is higher at the marinas because they have less storage capacity than say a gas station. They have to pay a higher price per gallon because it's a smaller load to bring. And the fact that a marina employee must pump it, there is no self serve.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Boat traffic sure is down on the Ohio River where we boat. Boat traffic, jet ski traffic etc. all down. To me there seems to be as many bass boats as ever. This is the time of year for the bass tournaments and there are some big prises that probably make it worth spending the extra bucks on gas.
We've boated every weekend possible (one weekend the river was flooded so we didn't do any floating then). But I've only filled up each boat one time, and I still have 1/2 tank left in the Baja and 3/4 tank left in the houseboat. Anchoring, tie ups with other boats & drifting all save gas. :D
Course we got rained out yesterday and the forecast for today scared us away. Weather has been far from perfect for boating overall this year.

waybomb

I'd rather be blown
Traffic is down in St Joseph. But the weather has really sucked. Most people I know understand that fuel is the cheapest thing about boating. All we want is decent weather.

bdavis

Fuel prices haven't slowed me down any. Well, maybe just a little. I really glad I didn't get a gas guzler when I bought my boat last year. I'm limiting myself to mainly boating on the lake I camp on this year. I had planned on going to a bunch of different lakes in the area but with the cost of fuel is kinda limiting me to how far I can afford to pull the boat to get to the water.

As far as fuel consumption in my boat, I have no worries there. My 40hp 4 stroke yamaha is very fuel efficient. It pushes my boat along fast enough to suit my needs. 30+ mph is fast enough on the water in a 16 ft boat. I went over 40 miles last weekend. Started with a full tank(portable 5 gallon), crossed the lake twice, pulled the kids around on the tube for a few hrs and I still had over half a tank of gas. I'm happy with it!

OhioTC18

I went over 40 miles last weekend. Started with a full tank(portable 5 gallon), crossed the lake twice, pulled the kids around on the tube for a few hrs and I still had over half a tank of gas. I'm happy with it!

Sounds like the 4 stroker is pretty good on fuel

bdavis

yup.....my old 1985 60hp mariner on my old boat would have gone through a full tank going that distance...

Crums

Wakeboarder Extraordinaire
My biggest bill for fuel comes from going to our boating spot on the ohio, $90 dollars round trip. I've only ran 3/4 of a tank through the boat since memorial day. We've been tied up with Doc most days. I usually run through a tank and a half (tank is around 26 gallons) on a normal weekend.

waybomb

I'd rather be blown
Finally had great weather and boating traffic was huge. All the launch ramp spots full, and most of the marinas emptied out.
Finally.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Finally had great weather and boating traffic was huge. All the launch ramp spots full, and most of the marinas emptied out.
Finally.

Same here. But it took a little longer. The past few weeks have been busy busy with boats on the water. Not back to what it was a few years ago, but getting there. We had some 36 to 40 go fasts that used to cruise every weekend. Now we just see one or two of them. Maybe they found another spot to play or they quit the habit. But I'm happy to see more boats out no matter.

Cavanaugh68

The past few days have proven to be exceptionally great days for getting out on the water to catch some fish. The weather patterns have been holding steady and the fish are beginning to show signs of winter patterns.

Slowly I am seeing more and more schools of redfish. Some of theses schools on the Mosquito Lagoon are between 1-25 fish and I have seen others up to 40-50 fish. Most of them are the smaller reds but with seeing this this tells me more are to arrive soon and this is to become the normal thing for the next several months.

Approaching redfish and (ALWAYS BIG TROUT ALL YEAR) this time of year requires a certain combo of key ingredients. These would be patience, stealth and distance. Be patient when stalking fish in shallow water. They are much better at hearing/seeing you then you might think. Stealth is the biggest one...Think of it as you sneaking up on a turkey or deer...Takes some slow movement and time to do it. The distance thing on the Mosquito Lagoon is a given to those of you who have been out here and who have fished it...It is very shallow and fish will be away from the boat. A goo thing to do is to practice in your yard or on the water with a target to cast to.

Sight fishing redfish this time of year I like to use either nice size live shrimp or Gulps!. Sometimes a smaller piece of mullet but it does make some more noise however is productive if placed correctly.

I look forward to seeing you out on the water applying these tactics.

Thank You For Letting Us Be Of Service To You.
Captain Drew Cavanaugh
Florida Inshore Fishing Charters
PO BOX 881
Edgewater, FL 32132
Cell/352-223-7897
drcfishmaster@cfl.rr.com
Light Tackle Fishing Guide
www.floridainshorefishingcharters.com

http://www.floridainshorefishingcharters.com

Cavanaugh68

http://www.floridainshorefishingcharters.com

Mosquito Lagoon Fishing

Capt. Drew Cavanaugh
November 14, 2008
Mosquito Lagoon - Saltwater Fishing Report
hrule2.jpg

Mosquito Lagoon Fishing, this is what central Florida is all about. The Redfish Capital of the World, The Mosquito Lagoon. The fishing on the Mosquito Lagoon has been tremendous, not just this past week but all year so far. within the past several days I have seen so many fish on the flats moving and feeding it is like being a kid in a candy store. Redfish are moving along the flats in extremely shallow waters and hugging banks and corners. While big trout are lurking just behind them in the ambush spots such as sand holes and deep pockets within the grass.
Fish the reds with stealth and caution and you should have no problem landing a few. If sight fishing use shrimp or Gulps! or even some smaller mullet pieces. The big trout on the other hand are a whole other ball game. Try top water or free line a live mullet. Please do remember here on the east coast of Florida trout are closed and are to be released.
Captain Drew Cavanaugh
Florida Inshore Fishing Charters
PO BOX 881
Edgewater, FL 32132
Cell/352-223-7897
drcfishmaster@cfl.rr.com
Light Tackle Fishing Guide
www.floridainshorefishingcharters.com