Looking to buy Bayliner 175Xt need advise

dnorth

We are looking at a 2004 Bayliner 175 Xt. We dont want to spend a ton of money and will be using it for family fun! We have never purchased a boat before but the boat includes the following:

Trailor w/ swing away tongue and spare tire
wake board tower
Bimini top
Snap on Sunbrella bow and cockpit cover
Boat Cover
Stainless steal prop.
Spare prop.
4 life jackets.
Throwable Float (required in the boat)
Oar (also required)
2 Tubes.
Tube rope
2 Rubber bumpers
Anchor/rope.

Seller is the original owner and the total cost is $10,000.00 is this a good deal? Any other input would be nice!! Thanks

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Welcome to Net Boat Talk!!! I'm glad you found us.

How many people would you have on the boat regularly? Is it a 4 cyl motor in the Bayliner?
What water would you be boating on? 17' is a little small for big water. If there are a lot of bigger boats running around you will be at their mercy.

If it were me I would look to spend the same money on an older but bigger boat. Maybe a 20ft four winns or rinker etc. If you have the boat inspected you'll have a feeling of confidence in it and it will do you as good at the 2004 Bayliner.

For resale value Bayliner does not hold up as well, that is why you can find the 2004 model for 10k.
http://www.boattrader.com/ is a great place to shop and compare going prices for any model boat.

Remember many boats hold their vailue really well. Most boats are not used that many times a year. You can find a 8 year old boat with 2 or 3 hundred hours on it. Man thats like new. Barely broken in. If they've stored it inside and taken care of it, the boat will be in like new condition. With gas prices up this is a buyers market. Lots of good deals out there.

waybomb

I'd rather be blown
Bayliners are typically underpowered. Nothing worse than an underpowered boat.

But for values, look it up at www.nadaguides.com.

Bayliner sells brand new ones at great prices and great financing. If you buy, always get the optional horsepower. Look at Chaparal (sp?) too.

Crums

Wakeboarder Extraordinaire
We are looking at a 2004 Bayliner 175 Xt. We dont want to spend a ton of money and will be using it for family fun! We have never purchased a boat before but the boat includes the following:

Trailor w/ swing away tongue and spare tire
wake board tower
Bimini top
Snap on Sunbrella bow and cockpit cover
Boat Cover
Stainless steal prop.
Spare prop.
4 life jackets.
Throwable Float (required in the boat)
Oar (also required)
2 Tubes.
Tube rope
2 Rubber bumpers
Anchor/rope.

Seller is the original owner and the total cost is $10,000.00 is this a good deal? Any other input would be nice!! Thanks

They look like a ski boat, but are no where near the same quality as a nautique, mastercraft or malibu. My suggestion would be to purchase a mid 80's competition ski boat, you can find a nautique in that age range that will hold up 10 times better, pull all the fun toys 10 time better, and last 10 times longer!

dreamseeker

I know a few 175 owners and they say it is a great boat

It only comes with the 3.0 engine and has i believe 140hp
most say they can pull skies and tubes with no problems
it also can do arround 40 mph on smooth water from what i was told

You do need to look into the way it was treated and servced. It comes with merc and the inpellers need to be replaced every couple years.

For the buck you get a very reliable boat with a popular engine also.

These 3.0 engines are great on gas also if this is a concern

you also may want to get a servey done but they are good boats from what i here