depth finder transducers

W'nt Crazy

I currently have an out dated depth finder that has a thru hull transducer( hole in the hull) I am looking to replace it with a new system that uses the in hull transducer( shoots thru the hull , NO HOLE) any one have any experience with these, I have heard there are issues with setting them. ex: bubbles in the silicon or expoxie that you set them etc. Any thoughts? going on a sailboat so transom mount is not an option. And no i can't mount it to the trolling motor. LOL

rlk

Crazy, I also heard about the problem of bubbles in the silicon, so I just keep a little bit of water in the hull - just enough to cover the transducer. The transducer stays in the well where you drain water from the boat.

Everything seems to work fine this way, plus it is portable between boats. I suspect I loose a little resolution by shooting through the hull, but not enough to bother me.

Mine is installed on a speedboat, which may be easier to keep water in the hull than on a sail boat.

Bob

W'nt Crazy

Yes keeping water in the center of the boat would be a bit of a problem, considering shes healed considerly from time to time... What make model are you using? considering your installation how satisfied are you with the equipment.?

rlk

My equipment is Hummingbird - probably 8 years old. Can't remember the model number, but I'm sure my equipment is outdated by now. Not the best on the market, but good enough for my freshwater needs. I have always had good service from Hummingbird, but again, they are not the best on the market. I don't know how well they would hold up in salt water.

Bob

waybomb

I'd rather be blown
If it's reading the depth accuralety, why replace it?

On a completely different note...
Keep the depth sounder, ditch the sailboat!:boxing:

waybomb

I'd rather be blown
What are you going to do with the hole once you talke the ducer out? I would feel much more safe with it there. Having said that, if you sounder is accurate, why change it?

I have heard it is very difficult to get a through-the-hull ducer to be accurate. I am sure that different types of resin, cored hulls, different matt, and thickness of the hull system would have to be tuned. How is that done accurately? These issues are not a concern with the head of the ducer exposed to the water.

So, if what you have is working, spend the money on something else.