Looks like my boating is done for this year

AllenOK

Due to weather, and our recent move, I haven't been able to take my kayak out in the past two months.

Currently, it's in the garage. I still want to winterize it a bit. I don't have a motor to worry about, but:

-I need to get it up off the floor of the garage.
-Open both hatches, and open the plug.
-I'm wondering if I ought to prop it up so the bow is higher than the stern. The boat is inside, so I'm not really worried about water getting into it (unless the roof of the garage leaks).

Winter projects will hopefully include getting a rudder installed, and other equipment as I feel is needed. I'm thinking about getting a trolling minnow bucket, and possibly making a Stake-Out Stick.

I have my anchor system fully rigged, but I never got around to using it this season at all. I usually just dropped my drift sock overboard and used it as a sea anchor. I've also built a cheapie brush hook, but also, have not had a chance to use it.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
You made it longer than I. Normally we can take the houseboat out this time of year to enjoy the fall colors. It's so freaking cold up here that we are not even considering it. I hear it might get up to 67 this coming Tuesday so .....there is still hope for one more boat ride. I'll be pulling it out in the next week or two to get started on winterizing the big girl. i wish it was as easy as winterizing your kayak.

I agree, that setting the front end higher, just in case, is a good idea. :thumb:

AllenOK

Being plastic, I don't think water sitting in the hull would pose a problem, unless it froze. Even then, the hull would have to be full, or nearly full, for expansion to become a problem.

I still want it dry. "Aquatic Nuisance Species" and such, like Golden Algae, Zebra Mussels, etc. I haven't taken my 'yak into waters infested with those (that I'm aware of), but better safe than sorry. Over the summer I was storing it on the ground, outside the house, in a shady spot. I noticed that whenever it would rain, I would end up with some water in the hull. Not much, but enough to make me realize that my hatches leak a little bit. I haven't taken my 'yak out in rough waters yet, so I wasn't aware of it. This could become a problem, if I do go out in rough waters. Good thing I tend not to do that.

On my way to work today, I saw somebody in a 'yak on the Arkansas River. I knew some folks would paddle around there, but this is the first time I saw one.

I've gotta get either a wet suit or dry suit. Then I could paddle around in colder weather. Water temp right now is in the 60's. I don't think it's a good idea to wear street clothes in a watercraft that is made to be splashed on and take on water when the temps are this low.