5.7 EFI 1998 Won't idle

thcri

I thought I had posted my problems here before but could not find it to udate so I will start a new one.

I bought a brand new 1998 Rinker Captiva 212 back in 1998. It was one of the first EFI engines put in boats and has worked flawlessly up until three years ago. It has been in the shop 6 times and a total of 4 different companies.

The dang thing won't idle. If I am idling while in gear it will start to drop down and one of two things will happen. It will either just quit or it will catch itself and run right up to about 3,000 rpms. This is dangerous. I know it might do it so I am prepared but there is times when others use the boat.

Last fall I took it to a new guy and he took it out and told me it was a low idle air sensor. He said he replaced it and then winterized it. So I sat all winter wondering if he actually did fix it. Well it is not fixed. However I will say at least now it for the most part just quits. It does not try and catch itself and rev up. But I have spent over $800.00 having people try and fix this thing with no luck. Talking to a mechanic that I ran into in a neighboring town he told me to get use to it. That is common with that first system that came out. They run good for about ten years and then start that and Mercruiser has no fix for it. I don't know if I beleive that. Does anyone here have any ideas of what maybe I could look for to get this thing fixed.

murph

thcri

An update as I finally put my foot down and told my dealer next time they take a boat to the actual river rather than putting the stern in a water pit to tell me to look at my boat.

We met at 3:00pm and at about 5:00pm they figured it out. This is the part

It is called a IAC valve. The tech put a computer on the motor and could not find any codes but just at the right time and if on the screen for this valve they could catch it dropping out. But their computer would not show it as a fault. The part will be in next week so after 4 years cross my fingers. I hope this fixes it.

murph