Fuel hose and fuel lines

Bt Doctur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Considering we now must use a 10% ethanol blend in the marine world, make sure your hoses (Fill,Vent, Feed) are alcohol rated.This new fuel will disolve rubber, plastic, aluminum, and fiberglass.Also make sure your lines are "double clamped", and the fuel fill port is bonded to the ground system, the fuel tank(steel/aluminum) is bonded including the sender plate to the common ground.
Another killer is the fuel sender plate. Traced a fuel odor in a boat to a completely corroded away aluminum fuel sender plate.Hate to think what 200 gal. of fuel would go uplike.When you do "Fill Up" (even though you should not do something like that) ,estimate the number of gallons you will need to be reasonably full for the day`s activities. Should you be completely to the top of the tank, you just might be a bomb waiting to go off if your sender develops a leak.

OhioTC18

Bt Doctur,
The automotive fuel industry has been using up to 10% blend for years. I know anything higher than 10% is an issue unless the fuel system is rated for it. Is a 10% blend in boats something new we need to be aware of now?

Bt Doctur

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have heard reports of fiberglass tank delam`s,corrosion breaking loose from alum tanks and clogging things up.Havent heard of hose problems but down the road it`s best to be checking for fuel permeation or spongyness.Some have thought the black stuff was from the hose but turned out to be tank debris from the ethanol , was causing the derbis to be loosened up .

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I have a 89. Would you guess that I most likely have the older style hoses?

This is going to be a major headache for all the old boats out there ... and we all know there are a whole lot of the oldies but goodies.