Dale

Hi, my name is Dale and I’m a new member with a 1987 Chaparral 3.0L engine with a bit of a problem. It won’t start, it won’t even turn over, the gauges won’t even jump when I turn the key on. The blower, bilge pump, and horn do work. I have power when I jump across the starter, also power when I jump across the slave solenoid. I have put a jumper across the shifter cut off switch and still nothing. I’m hoping to connect with others with Chaparral experience to suggest additional things to try. I thank anyone that will offer me advice. Cayuga Lake Dale

Reactions: Doc

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
First off, welcome to the forum. I am no mechanic, but I think your issue is in your ignition switch and or the switch wiring to the starter. I would start there first if it were me.
Someone more mechanical may have a better answer. I am kind of trial and error person.
Good luck, please keep us posted, your info may help someone else.

Reactions: Doc

SST

Years ago I had a similar starting problem although I don’t recall the problem as complex as yours. I replaced the ignition switch and that took care of it. Try the least expensive route to eliminate possibilities.

Dale

First off, welcome to the forum. I am no mechanic, but I think your issue is in your ignition switch and or the switch wiring to the starter. I would start there first if it were me.
Someone more mechanical may have a better answer. I am kind of trial and error person.
Good luck, please keep us posted, your info may help someone else.
Hi Denny,
Thank you for your helpful response. I am not much of a mechanic either but I pulled out the schematic that came with the boat, traced the electrical lines, and it showed a fuse near the ignition switch. After digging a bit, I found the 20 amp fuse, replaced it, and that problem is history. It only took me a little over a year. The good news is, I'm back on the water. Thank you again and have a great summer.
sincerely,
Cayuga Lake Dale

Dale

Years ago I had a similar starting problem although I don’t recall the problem as complex as yours. I replaced the ignition switch and that took care of it. Try the least expensive route to eliminate possibilities.
Hi SST,
It was a blown fuse near the ignition switch and after I replaced it, it would start. I thank you for your reply, enjoy the summer.
Sincerely,
Cayuga Lake Dale

SST

Hi Denny,
Thank you for your helpful response. I am not much of a mechanic either but I pulled out the schematic that came with the boat, traced the electrical lines, and it showed a fuse near the ignition switch. After digging a bit, I found the 20 amp fuse, replaced it, and that problem is history. It only took me a little over a year. The good news is, I'm back on the water. Thank you again and have a great summer.
sincerely,
Cayuga Lake Dale
Replacing a 20amp fuse is about as inexpensive as you can get. Always nice to be back in the water.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Replacing a 20amp fuse is about as inexpensive as you can get. Always nice to be back in the water.
Thank you for sharing the solution to your issue. Hopefully this may help someone else with the same problem, and it won't take them as long to figure it out. Lol