Cut off switches in regards to older boats

cyclops2

They are not too clear if it is tied into the computers control. My stretchy cord " Safety Lanyard " is all I use. It does the same function.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I just read an article from BoatUS in regards to cut off switches and the new law. The article doesn't discuss older boats that don't have the cutoff switch. Mine doesn't.

I make the assumption that mine wasn't built with one, therefore I don't fall under this rule. Thoughts?

New Law Requires Skippers To Use Engine Cutoff Device | BoatUS
I would make the same assumption. It would cost to retrofit your boat and unless they offered to pay the cost i do not believe they can force you to put that on your boat. I also believe experienced boaters can do just fine without the cut off switch.

cyclops2

I am beginning to believe that the U S government agencies. Are a reserved dumping place. For wealthy people with mentally suppressed children.

cyclops2

I found a explanation of the " switch ". It is the very old coiled up LANYARD switch. US CG ............ How to create a new / old thing into hiring 5 more relatives in the department to answer questions about the ECOSL switch.

cyclops2

The sad thing on April 1 is that it is NOT NEEDED if the boat is not on planning speed ! You should be able to escape the prop if floating unconscious. Good grief. All of us older people always wore it at any speed to be most safe.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I just read an article from BoatUS in regards to cut off switches and the new law. The article doesn't discuss older boats that don't have the cutoff switch. Mine doesn't.

I make the assumption that mine wasn't built with one, therefore I don't fall under this rule. Thoughts?

New Law Requires Skippers To Use Engine Cutoff Device | BoatUS
So you are referring to the seat belt law, that says, if it did not come with one, you don't have to put one in.

SST

Basically yes....

Copied from Google search:

"Under the law, owners of classic cars are not required to install safety belts or shoulder harnesses if they were not original equipment on the vehicles, said Kim Hazelbaker, senior vice president of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety in Arlington, Va.Dec 12, 2001"

"Until 1966, cars were often made without seat belts. Many manufacturers offered seat belts as extras to the car. Therefore, if you own a classic car and no seat belts are fitted as standard, you have no legal obligation to have them fitted.Oct 8, 2014'

"
The driver of a car can get a ticket for passengers not wearing seatbelts unless he can prove the vehicle did not have seatbelts installed. If the car does not have seatbelts, then the current seat belt laws cannot be followed."

So, my boat did not come with a lanyard or a more modern cutoff switch. Is my boat exempt from this requirement? I'm not looking for opinions on safety improvements or not.....just the rule it applies to.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Basically yes....

Copied from Google search:

"Under the law, owners of classic cars are not required to install safety belts or shoulder harnesses if they were not original equipment on the vehicles, said Kim Hazelbaker, senior vice president of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety in Arlington, Va.Dec 12, 2001"

"Until 1966, cars were often made without seat belts. Many manufacturers offered seat belts as extras to the car. Therefore, if you own a classic car and no seat belts are fitted as standard, you have no legal obligation to have them fitted.Oct 8, 2014'

"
The driver of a car can get a ticket for passengers not wearing seatbelts unless he can prove the vehicle did not have seatbelts installed. If the car does not have seatbelts, then the current seat belt laws cannot be followed."

So, my boat did not come with a lanyard or a more modern cutoff switch. Is my boat exempt from this requirement? I'm not looking for opinions on safety improvements or not.....just the rule it applies to.
I'm sure that we will be hearing more about situations as the days go on.

cyclops2

This law was passed in 2018. But..........They are still working on the full final version of it.......Found that on the USCG many releases of this crapolla regulation. They MIGHT have a finished version of the law. Shortly

Boating is a SELF Regulated industry. With some items specified by the USCG. Oh well. :unsure:

SST

BoatUS just sent out another April 1st notification on the cut off switch. I'm sure we've all read it. The second paragraph seems to indicate that boaters that have the cutoff switch or lanyard or boats built after Jan 2020 are required to use it. There doesn't seem to be any indication that it is required to install it. So I'm not.

"Effective April 1, 2021, the new law requires a vessel operator to use either a helm or outboard lanyard or wireless ECOS on certain vessels less than 26 feet when traveling on plane or above displacement speed. These vessels include (1) boats that have a functioning engine cutoff device installed at the helm or on an outboard engine or have wireless ECOS, or (2) boats manufactured beginning January 2020. The Coast Guard increased the number of boats required to have ECOS installed after this date in an effort to reduce boating accidents and fatalities."

SST

With the tv series Baywatch on it is interesting to look beyond the obvious. Almost every scene when the jet ski is used, the lanyard is in view and used. Just yesterday a scene showed an actor jumping off the jet ski and pulled the lanyard and it shut off.

SST

I did not realize Babewatch was still on the air..
It recently started about 3 weeks ago or so. They are really cramming the series. 2 episodes everyday except Saturday...only one episode. The network is-Hero's and Icons. Yazmeen Bleeth just showed up yesterday....she was 25 years old.

Kristian Alfonso was on yesterday too. She is still on Days of our Lives. This photo is from Baywatch 1993. She's 30 in this photo.
1619122725597.png

I have been trying to cut down on how much tv I watch but then H&I starts showing Baywatch. Then, I discover PBS-Masterpiece Theater has 3 WWII associated programs which now I'm watching that to! Oh well.....

Last edited:

Iggy

I like the idea of a FOB. I hated using the lanyard. There were times when doing headway. I had to hand something that took me 2 feet way from the helm. A line or a fender when docking. Or even handing the helm over to my wife.

SST

Youtube brought this up on the list. I don't know what's more dangerous, falling out of the boat or falling back in it.

• Wow