2 Issues - Help Needed

Hi Everyone. So glad this forum was started given the deterioration and ultimate death of the Chap site. I've gotten great support over the years and shared some of my own experiences as well. Anyway, I've got 2 issues on 2 different boats that need to be resolved before the 2022 season gets underway.

1) Went to do my monthly check on my Sig 350 yesterday and discovered the antifreeze that was in the vacuflush toilet bowl had mostly leaked out. In the past it would have leaked out of the bowl into the hose leading to the holding tank and I would replace the ball seal. This time it's very different and the antifreeze is on the floor "outside" the system. I did not investigate, but took a couple of pictures. Hoping someone has seen this before and can offer some tips on where to start.

2) I have a 1999 boat with a 5.7 Volvo Penta in it. Apparently in 1998/1999 Volvo used a fuel system setup with a vapor separation tank referred to on the parts diagram as the "reservoir assembly". Mine developed a leak at the end of last season and needs replacement. VP no longer makes this part and searching online and on Ebay is turning up nothing. My mechanic is thinking it might be possible to convert to the newer style fuel pump assembly (after 2000) where this separate assembly could be eliminated. Wondering if anyone has had to resolve this issue and if so what you did? Found part, converted, or some other solution? It's not likely I will need all of the parts circled, but it hasn't been taken apart yet and odds are something will break when it is. Main thing is part identified as 21 & 10.

Thanks in advance!

Mark

Attachments

• 20220221_155228.jpg
    20220221_155228.jpg
    1,004.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 20220221_155308.jpg
    20220221_155308.jpg
    457.3 KB · Views: 65
  • VP 1999_FUEL SYSTEM PARTS DIAGRAM.jpeg
    VP 1999_FUEL SYSTEM PARTS DIAGRAM.jpeg
    235.2 KB · Views: 68

Phillbo

1- at first thought you may have a cracked hose under the toilet that allowed the leak. I'll bet you find your system will not build pressure once you activate it in the fall...

Did you check the fresh water feed line to the toilet valve? Could be your toilet is fine and you have a cracked PEX connector on the water inlet valve.
Didn't get into it yet. I do a monthly check and found the antifreeze on the floor this visit. Waiting for a some warmer temps before investigating, but that's a good place to check and I have a replacement water inlet valve I want to install this season, so I can kill 2 birds with one stone.

Update on these 2 issues. Leaking antifreeze from toilet was due to worn base seal. I had an issue with the water valve last season, so went ahead and purchased a replacement base for the toilet. I was able to do the removal & replacement myself. Not too bad once you take the tank off the base. Only have to disconnect 2 water lines from the valve and the evac waste line from the back. 4 bolts to the floor and then put it back together. Took me about an hour and I've never done it before.

On the leaking reservoir assembly, upon closer inspection the mechanic discovered the tank was intact and what was actually leaking was a capped off water outlet on the reservoir. Bought a new 1" rubber cap, installed with hose clamp and no more leak. Lucky too, because the reservoir assembly is nowhere to be found. We were preparing to convert to newer fuel pump set-up which would have been far and away more costly.

Anyway, just wanted to circle back on an open thread in case it helps someone else along the way.

Reactions: Doc

WIngnut

Hi Everyone. So glad this forum was started given the deterioration and ultimate death of the Chap site. I've gotten great support over the years and shared some of my own experiences as well. Anyway, I've got 2 issues on 2 different boats that need to be resolved before the 2022 season gets underway.

1) Went to do my monthly check on my Sig 350 yesterday and discovered the antifreeze that was in the vacuflush toilet bowl had mostly leaked out. In the past it would have leaked out of the bowl into the hose leading to the holding tank and I would replace the ball seal. This time it's very different and the antifreeze is on the floor "outside" the system. I did not investigate, but took a couple of pictures. Hoping someone has seen this before and can offer some tips on where to start.

2) I have a 1999 boat with a 5.7 Volvo Penta in it. Apparently in 1998/1999 Volvo used a fuel system setup with a vapor separation tank referred to on the parts diagram as the "reservoir assembly". Mine developed a leak at the end of last season and needs replacement. VP no longer makes this part and searching online and on Ebay is turning up nothing. My mechanic is thinking it might be possible to convert to the newer style fuel pump assembly (after 2000) where this separate assembly could be eliminated. Wondering if anyone has had to resolve this issue and if so what you did? Found part, converted, or some other solution? It's not likely I will need all of the parts circled, but it hasn't been taken apart yet and odds are something will break when it is. Main thing is part identified as 21 & 10.

Thanks in advance!

Mark
Did you use the potable water pump to put the antifreeze into the head, or did you dump it into the bowl?

Yes. When I winterize, I put the antifreeze into the fresh water fill and then use the onboard water pump to supply all faucets, shower heads and the toilet + for the toilet I flush 4-5 times to push antifreeze through the waste portion of the system as well.