V350 Tachometer, sync intermittent issue

Have not yet started to troubleshoot, has anyone had issues with their tachometers or sync gauges? 8.1 Merc v drive, 2003, starboard gauge is jumping all around, goes full and jumps around, probably a bad daisy chain ground but not sure.

Most likely the gauge is going bad. I had to replace both of mine on my Sig350 quite a few years ago. Not sure if the replacements are still available, but Cecil Marine had the gauges and adaptors that you need in order to replace them. They were the only place that had them as far as I know. The original company is out of business I believe and you'd never get anything from Chaparral directly. Good Luck. https://cecilmarine.com/

ags

I gave up on those old gauges and installed Fox marine engine gateways. Now I have accurate data from both engine on the mfd and haven't looked at the analog gauges since. I have the same boat, btw, but with 5.7 VPs

What year is your boat? I was told telemetry was not available on the 03 engines. Hopefully they were wrong as that would be awesome. Do you use bluetooth to your phone or tablet? How does this system work? Any added info would be much appreciated.

I have a 12 inch Axiom as well I suppose I can run the telemetry to that.

Last edited:

ags

2003 as well. The 2003 5.7 GXI-E engines were, in my case, MEFI-4. You'll have to verify what what version of MEFI your ECM is, although I'm not sure if the 8.1mercs even used MEFI. But otherwise, I converted all systems on my boat to nmea 2000. Each engine has a gateway, which are connected to the n2k network, along with other things like fuel and holding tank (via a seperate n2k module), which are then all visible on my axiom 9+. This is the same for most newer MFDs. For our boat, I pulled the speaker at the helm and was able to fish a long n2k backbone cable from the dash to the engine bay. In the engine bay I have a n2k 4-way tee (2 for engine gateways, one for fuel/holding tank, and the other for n2k gps antenna, which was easier to connect there, coming down from the arch, than routing back to helm. In the dash I have another 4-way tee for the axiom itself, my vhf, and my fusion radio.

The company Yacht Devices has gateways, too, but those turned out to work only with newer 2004/2005+ ECMs, but they have other accesory modules that might be useful (that's where I got the fuel / holding tank adapter).

Fox Marine has an app that allows you to view a lot more engine data than the MFD will display, and it works pretty well - I think you can view it from a tablet, too. But if you already have the axiom, you just need a n2k network and the engine gateways.