Chaparral Tach Reading Too High

donnnn

I took my 1997 Chaparral 1830 ss out for the first run of the year and discovered that my tach is reading about 2000 rpm too high. It goes up and down with engine speed but always much higher than reality. Is there some way to adjust this, or do I just need to replace it? Any recommendations for a good replacement brand? Also, if I get a new tach with the hour meter, is there a way to adjust the hour meter to the same time that I have now, or must it start over at zero?

tetonguy

I have found a few bad grounds on my Chap. You might want to just get under the dash and find the common ground lugs and clean then tighten them up. The other end of the dash harness is grounded somewhere on the engine block as well, might take soem looking but it should be top of the engine near the control module, doesn't take much transient current to make guages start bouncing around.

WIngnut

Chap tachs of that era had a selector switch on the back so they were select-able for 4,6, and 8 cylinder. These switches were prone to moisture infiltration and sometimes your issue can be cured by switching the switch back and forth several times, which seems to clean the contacts. Worth a try.