GPS tracker for boat - How to secure against theft?

yogi799

Hey guys, need some serious advice here. Some background here that we do NOT need to discuss in this thread... Ever since boat prices doubled here in Canada about 5 years ago, my insurance has become mostly useless. I bought my boat for 60k (Canadian) 10 years ago, and insurance charged me 700 a year which was acceptable.... for full replacement. Now the same boat (10 yrs old) is worth closer to 80-100k and insurance wants at least 1200 a year which i am not willing to pay. For 700 they are insuring me for 50000 which will not replace my boat. It is half of the value, meaning i cannot go with insurance anymore since it has become such a scam (theft is rare and most claims are for smaller things i would imagine, so why double the premium... only because they can i guess).

When I am not boating, the boat stays on land in a secure storage but it is 2 hrs away from my house, so i cannot monitor it. Others have access to the storage, so while theft is unlikely, it is a remote possibility if the thieves really wanted to do it.

No need to rehash that subject, long story short, I need a GPS tracker anti theft device that will allow me to do this:

- hardwire into boat's 2nd battery so that power is always there, for up to 3 weeks
- GPS unit sends location info 24/7 to some cloud app.... ideally every minute or so... (via cell data plan I imagine)
- I need to be able to check the location anytime via the app with good accuracy and short interval as per the above
- i understand this will mean I will need some Cell plan to obtain access to the internet, fine, i am ok with a reasonable monthly fee.

I have searched and searched and nothing, Whatever i find either loses power after one week, is used to track kids by placing the device in their backpacks... or is total garbage that according to reviews, does not do what it was intended to do.

Fleets came to mind, corporations are probably using this to track their vehicles in real time, but i have not been able to find anything more applicable to my situation, fleet solution cost would likely be more acceptable to big companies, not small fries like me.

HELP!!! Is there anything decent out there to protect our boats? (ie take us to the location where it might be held after a theft). Canada might be a bit different, but please give me any ideas, including US companies/solutions. I am ok paying 50 bucks a months for this peace of mind, but help me find a good solution pls.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
This idea is a bit outside the box but might work for you if you have an iphone or are willing to purchase an iphone. (Android might have a similar app and feature but I do not know of that so I won't speak to that).

Purchase an older iphone (iphone 8 or so would do) and get a plan for it.
Load app, find my phone on your phone and on new iphone.
Stash iphone in your boat near the battery where the charge cord can reach the battery.
Hook cigarette light plug to boat battery and use to trickle charge iphone.
When you look at find my iphone you will see where the phone is which will tell you where your boat it.

this is all off the top of my head but i think it would work. Our kids recently talked us into trying find my iphone when we visited Gatlinburg. I was shocked at how well it worked. We could see where each other was while on the road traveling there and when we were in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge.

yogi799

Not a bad idea brother! Hmmmm.... Thanks a lot, will definitely seriously consider, never crossed my mind to put a stupid phone in there. Let's see if anyone else has something as good or better.

Reactions: Doc

Phillbo

Google a product called Spot tracking. I use one on long rides so people can track my location.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
We have a thing called Ring Doorbell, don't know if something along those lines would work.
You might give their sales dept. a call.

Iggy

I installed a Siren Marine system on my boat. There out of Newport R.I. with great customer service. I had a firmware problem and they were willing to drive up to Boston and reinstall it.

It does GPS, monitors pumps, doors, shore power, high water alarm and battery voltage. There is an phone app and it will text and/or e-mail you too if there is a problem. There are wireless and wired sensors too.

Bt Doctur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well ,if you do ever catch them ,2 cinder block and a short rope will prevent a repeat

yogi799

Google a product called Spot tracking. I use one on long rides so people can track my location.

If this is their website, they are being very cryptic about how it works. What do you pay per month?

That can't be it... it says they are in Nairobi.

Can u send me a link to what you are using?

Last edited:

yogi799

This idea is a bit outside the box but might work for you if you have an iphone or are willing to purchase an iphone. (Android might have a similar app and feature but I do not know of that so I won't speak to that).

Purchase an older iphone (iphone 8 or so would do) and get a plan for it.
Load app, find my phone on your phone and on new iphone.
Stash iphone in your boat near the battery where the charge cord can reach the battery.
Hook cigarette light plug to boat battery and use to trickle charge iphone.
When you look at find my iphone you will see where the phone is which will tell you where your boat it.

this is all off the top of my head but i think it would work. Our kids recently talked us into trying find my iphone when we visited Gatlinburg. I was shocked at how well it worked. We could see where each other was while on the road traveling there and when we were in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge.

So this seems like the closest idea at the moment.... I love it actually, but neither Samsung or Apple, probably, have a way to notify me ONLY when my phone's location CHANGES (ie. boat is moved). That would be ideal, darn. Samsung has a track every 15 minutes so that's pretty close....

Iggy

Go to SirenMarine.com

Could not be happier. Monitors location, batteries, pumps, doors, high water alarm, shore power and more. Battery back up built in. Made for marine use.

Gives up to the second location. No delay. We'll maybe 20 or 30 seconds to relay it to you.

yogi799

Hey guys. Found something amazing. It's called Tracki and you Get it on amazon! Does literally everything I wanted it to do and more end it's tiny! Wow! I'll paste the link later. 20 USD a month. Just fantastic considering I can't find anything it doesn't do!

Iggy

Hey guys. Found something amazing. It's called Tracki and you Get it on amazon! Does literally everything I wanted it to do and more end it's tiny! Wow! I'll paste the link later. 20 USD a month. Just fantastic considering I can't find anything it doesn't do!
Sounds great, but why would you not want to monitor the rest of your boat? As in, if someone enters your boat?