2021 SSX Infinity Power Step

After only 30 hours in the boat the Infinity Power step wouldn't come up. The port side actuator had come loose from the hardware. Dealer wanted $1600 to repair. Took me 2 hours and two beers. All bolts were loose as no Loctight was used in assembly. Went through and tightened / Loctighted everything. Admittedly, a really nice feature when it works, but not very easy to get to when it breaks as the entire step cover needs to come off, about 9 bolts and a LOT of sealant (that needs to be cut). I feel like this could have been prevented with some better QC on Chaparrals behalf. Here are a few pictures if that helps anyone in the future.

Attachments

• IMG_0859.jpeg
    IMG_0859.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0860.jpeg
    IMG_0860.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0863.jpeg
    IMG_0863.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0862.jpeg
    IMG_0862.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0865.jpeg
    IMG_0865.jpeg
    6.6 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0867.jpeg
    IMG_0867.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 116
Purchased used with 10 hours, didn't transfer warranty as I didn't feel it was worth it the $500 transfer fee to cover most items for a very short period of time (like 1 year). Dealership actually told me that Chaparral's warranty isn't very good and the deny most claims! Taking my chances I guess.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
What ever happened to good will between seller and buyer.
The more I see and hear, it is more like buyer beware.
I guess the days of a hand shake and your word have gone by the wayside also..

Update: last weekend two stainless steel shoulder bolts snapped while the step was deployed. These were the "pivot point" bolts for the hardware that allows the bottom step to come up and over when it is closing. Had to drill and tap the threads out and find replacement shoulder bolts. Just an FYI for anybody that's dealing with these issues, McMaster Carr has the proper shoulder bolts and delivered mine in one day. (see photo for bolt info)...I have to imagine dealers are having a hay day with warranty claims on these power steps.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-08-07 at 2.51.42 PM.jpeg
    Screenshot 2022-08-07 at 2.51.42 PM.jpeg
    220.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0984.jpeg
    IMG_0984.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 63
Reactions: Doc

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
It's a shame that everything seams to be made with such low quality today.
The positive side is you were able to repair it, even though you should not of had to.
Chances are that the bolts you are using to replace the original ones are of better quality.
I remember years ago they were having trouble with the steering rack and pinion's on cars (after they were out of warranty) and when they put in the replacements, no more issues. The replacements were of the quality material that the original should have been made of.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Purchased used with 10 hours, didn't transfer warranty as I didn't feel it was worth it the $500 transfer fee to cover most items for a very short period of time (like 1 year). Dealership actually told me that Chaparral's warranty isn't very good and the deny most claims! Taking my chances I guess.
I'm old school, if it is made right with quality parts and pieces, you should not need to buy a warranty.