Drain plug problem ....

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
So, my son is working late and I'm helping his wife put their boat in. It's an 06 26ft Rinker Open Bow. He's had it 3 years now. So Brandy did not know where the drain plug went in. So I showed her. She put it in while I was gassing up the boat. I looked to check it out and it did not look like it was in far enough so I suspected crossed threads. I go to check it and the plate the drain plug screws into comes loose. Screws appear rotted out. So back to the shed with the boat and now a repair is needed. Longer screws and some marine silicon.

Son said it had been loose for awhile. I'm afraid this could have caused moisture and rotting but he seems to think it's no big deal.

What would you think and how would you check further and fix the issue?

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I probable would start poking around with an ice pick for soft wood to see how far it goes.
First thing is to remove all moisture in the wood. It might be a simple caulk using 3M 5200, or rebuilding the area with West Systems. We can only guess, because we are not there. You need someone there with the knowledge that knows what it needs and can tell you how to repair it. Good luck, pictures, and keep us posted.

Reactions: Doc

Phillbo

He has a boat with a lose drain plug that has been that way for a while? Some people should not own boats.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Sadly I have to agree. If only he would have mentioned it when he first noticed it, it would have been so much easier to take care of the issue. Duh.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
All that being said, it is time to decommission her, and make her well again.
Human error has no boundaries.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Drain plug issue fixed. It was not the screws pullin gout, they broke off. Boat is solid. New screws and marine grade silicon and Wa La, fixed.
Ready to boat on the 4th. ....Now we need the weather to cooperate. forecast as of today is not so good for next weekend.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Drain plug issue fixed. It was not the screws pullin gout, they broke off. Boat is solid. New screws and marine grade silicon and Wa La, fixed.
Ready to boat on the 4th. ....Now we need the weather to cooperate. forecast as of today is not so good for next weekend.
:coolshade