Fuel Sending Unit issue

cjm13905

I installed a new fuel sending unit about 2 months ago. My tank had well over 1/2 tank in it, and it worked fine.
I always kept the gass above 1/2 tank, until this past weekend. Once it got below 1/2 tank, the guage started bouncing
from E to 1/2 tank. Got back to the dock. Check all wires and they were good. Removed the sending unit, and manually
moved the lever and it moved the guage. Re-installed, and stuck on E. Other than the lever getting stuck against the side,
or the float no longer floating , any ideas ? I guess my next thing I will try is to reposition the direction of the float inside
the tank.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Like you said, if everything checks out, then I would start looking at position and the arm travel. And you can do an ohm test also.

Iggy

I would agree with Denny. Keep in mind that the fuel will move around the tank underway. More so below half giving you inaccurate readings. To a point, this is normal.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I would agree with Denny. Keep in mind that the fuel will move around the tank underway. More so below half giving you inaccurate readings. To a point, this is normal.
+1 I always check mine at rest in calm waters when possible.

cjm13905

When I was trying to resolve the issue , at the end of the ride, I was in calm water at my dock.

Thanks for the info.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
My original sender that came with my girl died, so I found a flow meter that worked great. It always read a tad high, which gave me a fudge factor. Then a few years back it died. I tried to get another one, but they no longer made it. So I found another company, but it was not as consistent, and I did not trust it. Now I have that flow meter, a percentage gauge + an antilog gauge that work off of the tank sender, one at a time. They all read different, they take turns getting it right. And my old stand-by that has worked for 30 years, hours run times 7 gal per hour. My 30 year average is 6 gal per hr.

cjm13905

Got this all working now. May need a slight adjustment, the rod is a two piece construction, and I may shorten it to read closer to E than it actually is, for peace of mind. The problem was with the 2 piece construction, the float was not lying flat on the fuel. it was tipped, so didn't register correctly.

Reactions: Doc