Has anybody replaced the sending unit in a 1930 SST?

vincentmb615

I've asked on several forms and I can't seem to get a response or correct answer hoping I can get some help here I have a 1930 SST and I'm trying to locate the sending unit, it is not in the access plate at the rear of the deck all that is in there the anti-siphon and the fuel line to the engine, I went as far to stick my camera in that hole and do a complete 360 and I don't see it anywhere there's no way to see it from the ski locker either has anybody replaced one and if you have will you please tell me where it is?

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
This is not yours, but this is how it works. There has to be an access hole over the tank to allow you to pull it out. Are there any wirers in the access hole that you can see into? Have you called Chap? Maybe Cecil Marine can help. You might try reaching out to Wlngnut.
Hope this helps, please keep us posted.
1652923233697.png

Reactions: Doc

vincentmb615

I attempted to call and didn't get anywhere,here's a video of inside the only access cover I have on the rear of the deck in front of the dog house all that's there is anti syphon and fuel line to motor

vincentmb615

I attempted a post a video it's waiting approval it shows inside of my access panel a full 360 all that is visible is the anti siphon and the fuel line to the engine

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Call Cecil and see if they know what sending unit is in your tank, and what it looks like, maybe it is not serviceable.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I have been through every back door I could find to get some sort of info about your sending unit, and gas tank.
There is nothing out there, neither one are not even recognized.
You may have to go to some sort of flow meter, if you can find one.
Or you could start a log of gals and hrs.
Depending on how I've been boating I use a fudge factor of 7-8 gals per hr.

vincentmb615

Thanks for attempting to dig through archives lol I thought I read somewhere one time it was in the bin behind the glovebox around we're the fuel lines and vent lines come in , it's not a critical issue I just know it's not the gage because it does ped when grounded , has anyone drilled and installed one them selves ? Im not sure how I could certainly get it close to the anti syphon valve in that access and run new cables but im not fond of drilling into a plastic tank and not being sure if I'll ever find a replacement one anywhere and then I would be paranoid and have to run double inline filters until I was certain I didn't pick up and plastic or debris and sling them through my carb

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Every gas tank that I have ever seen, both auto and marine, the sending unit is mounted on the top of the tank, so it can read the level, unless yours is mounted somewhere on the side, which does not seem practical.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Talked with a guy today that I have do business over the years, that owns a boat recycling yard, and does marine repairs.
He agreed that the sending unit goes somewhere on the top of the tank, and that not all boats have an access hole.
He said that he has already cut the hole in the deck to install the round inspection plate.
Also he said, sometimes there may be a board that is screwed down to the deck that can be removed to gain access.
Can you see anything through the dog house where the fuel line comes through?
I haven't given up yet, I wish that I was there, I love these kind of challenges.
Can you get a photo of the deck area, so we might see the layout and mark where the gas tank is located.

SST

Years ago, I had to mess with my sending unit. The access plate was in approximately the same place as the 1930 in the above video. Eventually, I got a good sending unit and a good sealant and have never had a problem since. Its accuracy has been very close, usually within two gallons.

It will be interesting to see where this particular Chap sending unit is located. Good luck all around.

vincentmb615

I have the same access place all that's there is the anti syphon valve and the fuel line going into the carb it's the same exact boat I just don't have burlwood dash

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I will shoot a photo out tomorrow but it's 100 percent same year model as the video
Ok, figured so, that is why I posted the video.
How many gals is the tank?
I imagine it sets within the width of the back to back seats, the dog house and the ski locker.
Looking at your video, it looks like the tank has been glassed in, is it possible that they glassed over the sending unit?

vincentmb615

19 gallon if , earlier you can see I posted a video of inside the access cover and it appears the whole tank is visible inside it

vincentmb615

Im curious if it's not accessible from that locker behind the glovebox, the fill hose for fuel and vent hose are accessible there

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Are you talking about the one in front of the port side back to back seats?
What about under the port jump seat?
Or under the dog house?
Maybe through the back of the ski locker?
It has to be setting down in-between stringers.
And it will still have to be removed from the top.
Take another look with your camera and see if you can see any odd looking bumps on the top of the tank that are covered in glass.

vincentmb615

No access under dog house im tempted to take the ski locker trim off in the video in this thread I posted via YouTube you can see the whole tank but now that im thinking I can not see the fuel lines in that access hole so the tank has to be bigger than I can see clearly but they enter behind the glovebox in that locker im not sure the correct boating term but again I see the vent and fuel lines but no electric wires leading me to believe it's there, im baffled by This whole ordeal

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Where does the filler hose come in on your girl,, I could not see it in the video that I posted?
On mine the vent hose is run along with it, they have nothing to do with the sender, and where the wires are located.
Another way to do it, is start at the gauge and trace the wires backwards.
They more than likely run down the starboard side.
Storage locker is a good thermology.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Found it!
Click on owners manual on right side
scroll down to1997 all chaparral boats on left side
scroll down to sport boats
then scroll down to page 3-8 SB
it is the wiring diagram for your girl
it will show the location of the sending and how it is wired
the only thing left is to physically pin point it, and to figure out what is needed to be done to access it

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc