Lake Erie opinions

RichMarionOhio

It's been about 35 years since I boated on Lake Erie. Had a heavy 25 ft Coronet cabin cruiser then. Went out on a nice Sunday afternoon around the islands and soon, a storm came up. Got real choppy and we took shelter on the leeward side of one of the islands until it blew over. Scared me sufficiently to keep me inland from then on. Lake Erie to me is just too unpredictable. Now, with a great deal more boating experience but a smaller (Chaparral SSe 205 Cuddy) boat, I'm wondering about your thoughts on whether this is too small of a boat (21 footer) to take out around the islands. I have all the electronics and safety gear but would need to get current charts.

So I'm asking what your thoughts and experiences might be? I haven't made any decisions yet and would appreciate any opinions.

Happy boating all!

Rich T.

SST

I live on the other end of Lake Erie in Buffalo with a 23 foot cuddy. So I’m not experienced on how storms effect your end. The commonality between all boaters should be to check your weather forecast before you launch. I check days ahead. Marine forecasts are especially helpful as they forecast wave height. Do you have buoys that report wave height? I use two at my end. One at Buffalo and one offshore from Port Colborne, Ontario that reports wave height. Very helpful in determining whether I leave the harbor or head out into Lake Erie.

Lake Erie chop is annoying to me. My boat can handle a couple of feet but for me “One foot or less” is the magic phrase for me to head out into the lake. I just don’t like getting banged around. I like glass smooth which of course is rare on this end of Erie.

With your boat I don’t think you’ll have any more concerns than mine. Just pay attention to the weather, learn how the lake reacts to various weather events and operate your boat within those patterns. Don’t be like those boaters trying to exit Haulover inlet (sp) in North Miami. Check your weather before you leave the slip.

RichMarionOhio

I live on the other end of Lake Erie in Buffalo with a 23 foot cuddy. So I’m not experienced on how storms effect your end. The commonality between all boaters should be to check your weather forecast before you launch. I check days ahead. Marine forecasts are especially helpful as they forecast wave height. Do you have buoys that report wave height? I use two at my end. One at Buffalo and one offshore from Port Colborne, Ontario that reports wave height. Very helpful in determining whether I leave the harbor or head out into Lake Erie.

Lake Erie chop is annoying to me. My boat can handle a couple of feet but for me “One foot or less” is the magic phrase for me to head out into the lake. I just don’t like getting banged around. I like glass smooth which of course is rare on this end of Erie.

With your boat I don’t think you’ll have any more concerns than mine. Just pay attention to the weather, learn how the lake reacts to various weather events and operate your boat within those patterns. Don’t be like those boaters trying to exit Haulover inlet (sp) in North Miami. Check your weather before you leave the slip.
Can't tell you about whether there are reporting buoys in the area around the islands or not. I imagine that the charts would advise of this. I do know that there is a coast guard station near, though. Thanks for your advice!