Low Water at Powell

Phillbo

Buddy sent me this pic. The water is so low he can't get his house boat out. They are going to TRY to pull the marina out further but I predict his season is over before it begins...
B-dock.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: Doc

Phillbo

I told him to have the marina remove the fingers so they can get out. Apparently there are no slips available to move his boat too... I'd get it out of there and make friends with the owners on the T docks and side tie to them. Those slips are not cheap. I would be withholding rent until i was able to use my boat.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Wow. Looks like a long hike to get to your cruiser. But at least you can boat.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
While I was out there, someone said that Lake Mead's water level was at 34%
My heart goes out to all of you that are suffering this on going water issue.

Phillbo

Wow. Looks like a long hike to get to your cruiser. But at least you can boat.
They have golf carts to use to get all your crap to your boat :)

The real hike comes into play when you launch or retrieve. The ramp can be a quarter mile hike up a steep ramp. People are good about offering rides when pulling out....

Some ramps are closed for the season:

anteloperamp2014.jpg

• Wow

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
They say that one picture is worth a thousand words, and that one says it all.
How sad.:cry::cry::cry:

Iggy

It looks like the need to dredge, so on days that it is low the boats can go out. BUT, I have never been there so I might be wrong.

SST

Maybe 6 years ago or so, Lake Erie was getting low. The marina that I was at had a short ramp. Pretty nice but it didn't go all the way to the bottom. It suddenly dropped off. If your trailer wheels went over the edge, you'd need a crane to get it out. Water was getting low so I made the decision to pull the boat out of the water just in case the level dropped further. I always said that the level was so low I had to parachute into my boat [fixed dock].

This year will be interesting later in the season. We continue to be in a drought situation which mean less water entering the lakes and therefore lower levels. As we pilots says, "Maintain situational awareness." Pay attention and behave.

Phillbo

To make matters worse the only marina up lake (about 40 miles) was damaged by high winds last night and is closed until they can get it repaired. The fuel dock at the end broke loose and was pushed off to the side. Big weekend coming up next week too... Glad i don't have plans to go back until the end of July.

dr1.jpg

• Sad

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
1621655158434.png
1621655189679.png

Lake Oroville California drought 2013
63 trillion gallons of water lost.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Why is there such a difference?
Good question. I don't know, maybe Phillbo knows, the west is his neighborhood.
I heard that Lake Oroville lost it's water due to the shifting of some plates.
Maybe it is Mother Nature doing her thing, and Man doing his thing.

Phillbo

No snow in the Rockies that feed the Colorado river.... River water is used to grow crops in the Imperial valley of California...

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
A neighbor of mine said he lived in California at the time when there was no bill for water usage, and that everyone used it as if it would never run out.

• Wow