Misc Boating Discussion

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I too am in the market for a trawler. We want to do the Great Loop in a few years..
One of my friends from our boat club did the loop a few years ago. He and his wife had a blast. Took them two years as they would stop and stay and enjoy the day where they were. Didn't want to rush it. So they boarded their boat in a Jersey ship yard in Sept or Oct of the year they started the loop, and picked it back up the following spring. A truly fantastic experience from the stories I've heard them tell. So many stories from so many stops. :D .

Iggy

I have not done the loop, but my new to me boat has with its past owner. So it should know the way..........

I have done the ICW about 2 years ago. We started on the outside and come in around N. Carolina. From Cape May we headed straight across to the Cape Cope Canal. We his 15' waves, but they were slow rollers. The boat just went up and down, no waves hitting the boat. They were so slow you almost didn't feel them. Than the fog come!! So we stayed at block Island for 2 days.

Reactions: Doc

Phillbo

I have not done the loop, but my new to me boat has with its past owner. So it should know the way..........

I have done the ICW about 2 years ago. We started on the outside and come in around N. Carolina. From Cape May we headed straight across to the Cape Cope Canal. We his 15' waves, but they were slow rollers. The boat just went up and down, no waves hitting the boat. They were so slow you almost didn't feel them. Than the fog come!! So we stayed at block Island for 2 days.
Tell me about your boat. What did you get?

Iggy

Tell me about your boat. What did you get?
Here is a UTube link.
Pacific Trawler 40

Two owners back made this video. The guy I bought it from only had it for 2 years, so it was taken about 3 years ago. The owner that did the video, put in new forward and downward sonar, new VHF and a water filtration system that you can drink the water from the tanks.

The last owner did some upgrades too. He added a Highfield inflatable with a 20HP outboard, and some small stuff. Plus, I am doing a bunch of small stuff. The boat is a single screw diesel with a 350hp Yanmar engine. and a bow thruster. With a 6Kw genset, 3Kw charger inverter, 600 gal fuel tank, 200 gal water tank.

Last edited:

Phillbo

Iggy, what kind of range can you get with the 600 gallon fuel tank ( I know it's dependent on how much genny time is used)?

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Still can't go to Canada.:cry: So I will trailer my Girl and Little Boat (as it has been christened) from Toledo to Detroit Metro Park this week-end, launch there and spend the next 3 days and 2 nights on the hook, running Lake St. Clair and St. Clair River.
Finally get to take my 1st voyage of the season. May Mother Nature be kind.
IMG_0458.JPG

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Still can't go to Canada.:cry: So I will trailer my Girl and Little Boat (as it has been christened) from Toledo to Detroit Metro Park this week-end, launch there and spend the next 3 days and 2 nights on the hook, running Lake St. Clair and St. Clair River.
Finally get to take my 1st voyage of the season. May Mother Nature be kind.View attachment 1188
Have a great 3 days on the hook. May the weather cooperate and be nice nice nice.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Weather here was ify. Didn't even put the boat in. Ended up we could have boated Friday and Saturday, cloudy but the rain didn't come till night time. Then today torrential downpour. I was on the road with wipers at their fastest, going slow and still had a hard time seeing. Sure glad we were not on the water with that downpour.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Well, back home save and sound. Had a great 3 days, Mother Nature was in one of her great moods, warm and sunny. Got to play with some of my toys, some because I wanted to, and some because I had to. First night started off dinner with George, and the South Channel. That night fire works, from 4 different cities around the lake, that was cool. Tested out my new electronic mosquito repellent, worked very well. Next day cruised around Harrsen's Island taking in some real eye-candy ( no babes, lol). Got to use the Bimini and watch the parade of boats go flying by. Spent the night on the Mid-Channel. Woke up the 3rd morning to both, start and house batteries dead, and the generator out of gas. Can't use the gas from the little boat, it has oil in it, luckily there was a Marina about a 1/2 mile away, so I took the little boat and got some gas. Got the genny going and while it was charging the batteries I took the little boat for a ride back in the Saw Grass. When I got home I put on the charger, came back the next day and found both batteries dead. Found out the house battery was the issue. Also I am ordering a new isolator, after 25 years I think that it may have an issue too. Because it should have kept the 2 batteries segregated, with no demand on each other.

Don't know what happened, but this was supposed to be before all the pictures.

Thanks Doc, sorry that you could not take your girl out for a ride, still want to see some more pictures. Yeah, it rained here all day too.