No fume detector- Signature 350

I noticed that the Chaparral 350 does not have a raw gas fume detector. I have never owned a boat that dosen't have one. I see it was listed as an option. Seem like it should be standard equipment and I will be installing right away. Am I missing something? Are they maybe not needed on a fuel injection boat? Carburetors are much more likely to flood out. Is this why my boat does not have one.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Sounds like a gas fume detector would be a good addition to any boat.
However, I've owned a 1987 50' Gibson Houseboat. Two Crusader 454's and a 4 cylinder generator all in the rear. No detector. I didn't know it was an option. Nor was it on the 454 single engein Baja, or on the 496HO Sunsation. The Sunsation was fuel injected as is the 05 Sunsation I currently own. Very curious if this is something I should have installed on my boat. So I look forward to answers from those in the know.

WIngnut

I noticed that the Chaparral 350 does not have a raw gas fume detector. I have never owned a boat that dosen't have one. I see it was listed as an option. Seem like it should be standard equipment and I will be installing right away. Am I missing something? Are they maybe not needed on a fuel injection boat? Carburetors are much more likely to flood out. Is this why my boat does not have one.
MPI systems can still leak. I'd install a combo unit that also looks for CO as your boat likely has a generator used while at anchor.

Reactions: Doc

Iggy

I don't have that problem any more. Nothing like a diesel engine.:thumb:

The fume detector can't hurt to have one! I would install a auto fire extinguisher first, but thats me. Remember too, when refueling have your blowers on and use your nose as the air comes out of the vent. Nothing like a good nose.

Thanks, much appreciated. Marina's in our area ask that you NOT run the blowers during the refueling. I open the engine hatch for a cursory sniff and then run my blowers for at least four minutes prior to firing engines. I also do not allow anyone on board (dog included). All doors, windows and companion way access are closed as well. I have a full understanding as I have had many boats and have been cruising since I was a child. I was just perplexed that this modern 37 ft boat does not come equipped with a fume detector. I cannot see how that is an option... It does have an automatic extinguisher and carbon monoxide detector but my priority will be installing a fume detector.

Iggy

Fuel docks in the N.E. have never mentioned not running the blowers. Why are they asking not to? Something must have happened.

Iggy

But why are they asking to turn them off? One would think you would want to vent the engine compartment on a gasoline boat. On a diesel there is no need to.

I Hazzard a guess that it might be for a couple of reasons. An isolated boat is unlikely to cause an ignition spark and it may also be to protect thier employees.

I guess another reason may be that when you run a blower it creaa negative vacuum in the engine room which could pull fumes into the space.

Screenshot_20220409-071656_Photo Editor.jpg

Iggy

On my last boat a Sig 290 that was the out vent on the starboard side. So I could smell the air coming out. If your blower is on the starboard side, that should out an out vent. If not, I would just turn the blower around. Better still, move it to the other side so its sucking air from a low point and out.

Anything in the engine compartment must be ignition protected. If a fuel line was to let go and that side was the out vent you would know it in a second.

When I had my 2011 Sig 290 it was new. Every other trip, except long ones, I would go in the engine compartment and look around for anything out of place. Smells, leaks, wiring, stains just anything. I never took the dog or the wife off the boat when refueling. But the blowers were on so if gas was leaking I would know in a heartbeat. Your nose would tell you before a fume detector.

I installed an auto fire extinguisher, a FireBoy fixed system. If your worried about a fire when refueling. What would happen if you had a fire underway? To me that was more concerning with 2 engines running, the boat bouncing and I would never smell it. Yes the fume detector, helpful, but it can't put a fire out. Good luck with all this.

To back up a bit, if some boats do have the fuel and the air intake on the same side. Which I think is wrong, but who am I? Then I can see the fuel docks as a rule wants the blowers off until the cap is on.

Last edited:
I have the same fuel tank on the other side. I guess the reason is while, yes, the systems are meant to be protected they still have the possibility of failure.