Replacement canvas

jjboat

Been trying to get a new camper canvas for our 2004 Chaparral Signature 330 and has been a nightmare. Now ordering thru rnr marine and they want the DT of the ameritex black tag. The original tag (white tag) is what we have which has a DT date of 11-18-2003. However they say date should be in 2011 or newer. Which is impossible because we have the original. Likely they are looking for an ameritex remade canvas to get the pattern. Anyone have a remade canvas that has those for the same model/year as ours?

zinnerb

I am having same problem with my 2004 Chap 310 Signature. I need the Camper Canvas, Camper Top Frame and Bimini Top Frame. I need the part numbers before RNR will process my order. Anyone have the PN's for those?

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Did you call chaparral? Or check with Cecil Marine
If you cannot get factory (which will be the cheapest) you will have to go custom made at a marine canvas shop.

repetejon

Try to contact Edwards Canvas in Pauls Valley, OK They use to make all the canvas for Sea Ray boats and may do others as well. If they have templates, I do not know. Good Luck.

yogi799

I also wanted to get my whole bimini redone as it is breaking into pieces due to the waves and shaking on Georgian Bay, and some extra canvas pieces done (I sleep on my boat) , and local canvas shops have quoted me 5-7k CAD for the job (5k USD). I decided to tell them to f. o. , not spending that kinda money on a few pieces of steel and fabric. Good luck if you get someone who will not want to rape you alive. let us know.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Are you talking about a complete enclosure with glass, fabric, and frame work?

Phillbo

I decided to tell them to f. o. , not spending that kinda money on a few pieces of steel and fabric. Good luck if you get someone who will not want to rape you alive. let us know.
You forget to factor in the tools and knowledge to do the job right.....

Had a buddy on lake powell that refused to pay for a custom canvas and bough some cheap crap off the net. It never fit right, caused him many headaches when it would come loose in a storm and finally destroyed it's self while pounding up lake in a 60knt breeze. We all laughed at him when he got to camp that day. The color was not even close to the rest of his canvas work.... He left the boat at the canvas shop in town when we all got off the lake and now has a bimini to be proud.

He even took my advice and had a couple little zippered pouches sewed in along the leading edge for items like Sun Glasses and cell phones.

You get what you pay for .... Even more so when it coms to boating..

yogi799

Yes, talking about new biminii and complete enclosure with fabric, zippers and clear plastic windows.

No, i get there is skill involved , don't get me wrong. But i sleep on my boat about 4 times a year (usually 1-2 nights max). I have built my own plastic enclosure and been using it for 6 yrs now. not ideal but does the job (material cost me 200 bucks). I just don't like the range.. one shop told me ballpark 4k , then another 5-7k. guessing 7k is what i'll hear at the end. (CAD, so. 5.5k USD). both shops told me wait line is months. so i said f it.... Hopefully i will wait for recession when THEY will be begging for the customer. wishful thinking eh? that'll never happen. I would pay 3-4k CAD for this, but ain't paying 7. no way in hell. This rate has nothing to do with hourly rates, etc. it has IMO everything to do with limited skill supply and their ability to charge whatever the heck they want. no?

Phillbo

This rate has nothing to do with hourly rates, etc. it has IMO everything to do with limited skill supply and their ability to charge whatever the heck they want. no?
BINGO....Supply and Demand are king these days....

Have you called Leta's ?

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I help out at a marine canvas shop, and 5K is not at all out of line for a complete enclosure, Sunbrella, glass, thread, (yes thread) Sunbrella thread is sold by the pound and it ain't cheap, but it will last forever. If you could watch from start to finish one being done you would have a better under standing of the cost and time spent to produce it. Not to mention the wear and tear of your body, especially your hands. One other thing that I found out is boats are not symmetric, both sides are not alike, so you have to make adjustments to make it fit and look right. Upholstery is another animal of it's own. Next time you go to a boat show take a closer look at the things that you assume and take for granite to be right. poke around, pay attention to detail.

yogi799

OK, interesting. so you believe 5k is not outrageous for new bimini and enclosures. OK, thanks. good to get an honest perspective.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
OK, interesting. so you believe 5k is not outrageous for new bimini and enclosures. OK, thanks. good to get an honest perspective.
If they are charging that much, you should be getting a high quality product. If you are not sure, ask them what fabric, glass, and thread they will be using. Then look it up on the net, or if you like post it here, and then I will check it out with the people I help out.
Also if you are not sure about them, look them up on the net, and check with your local marinas to see who they use.
Bass Pro and Cabela's also use local canvas shops. I know, because they use us.:)
I'm guessing that this is a Canadian shop. If so when they said 5-7K Canadian that is their fudge factor if the cost is over 5K.
By paying 5K with U.S. they have already put in the fudge factor.
If there are no hidden factors and using specified materials they should be able to give you a firm quote.
Hope this helps, keep us posted, good luck.
Always remember, you get more with sugar than you do with vinegar. Lol