Safety isue with LED lighting

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks, when I'm over working on her over these winter months, I will do the testing that they prescribe, and report back.

Iggy

I have not experienced that problem with my VHF and AIS units. I think this problem happens when the LEDs are close to the antennas. Within a few feet. Plus buying the cheap China LEDs most likely do not help.

I have heard of this with garage door openers. Most manufactures recommend not using LEDs. Of course, the LED light would be right next to the opener's antenna.

Look at the date of article. Maybe, the the newer LED do not have this problem.

Last edited:

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Look at the date of article. Maybe, the the newer LED do not have this problem.
Plus buying the cheap China LEDs most likely do not help.

Hmmm, is there anything made here?
The hardware on my girl was made in China, back in 1985.

Iggy

Your right, but I am talking about the cheap junk. Like the stuff you find sometimes on ebay.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
They do make quality products, the only problem is you don't know when or if you are getting it.
Craftsman still guarantees their hand tools, but the replacement is not the same quality.
Snap-on still sells quality and service. Quality is not expensive, it is priceless.
I am probably one of the old timers on this forum. Back in my day if you broke something, you could fix it.
Sorry for the long winded soap box.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Did the experiment the other night, turned on all 12 LED lights, adjusted the radio accordingly on channel 13, moved the antenna 180 degrees fwr & aft, no reaction, so I guess I'm good to go.