Spectrum Colors for Gel Coat Repair

LtColMac17

I have a 2013 244 Sunesta with a few minor gel coat dings. I've read on the now-defunct Chap forum and FB groups that most are using the Spectrum Color for the best color matching the gel coat. I used the drop down features on their website, and I'm slightly confused that there are FOUR different part numbers for the small kits.

1. CHAPARRAL MISSION WHITE 00-16 Part Number: PATCH PASTE KITS:F559259AK
2. CHAPARRAL MISSION WHITE 00-16 Part Number: PATCH PASTE KITS:F559257AK
3. CHAPARRAL MISSION WHITE 00-19 Part Number: PATCH PASTE KITS:F559258AK
4. CHAPARRAL MISSION WHITE ASH LVOC 00-16 Part Number: PATCH PASTE KITS:F559216K

As you can see, there are four different part numbers for a kit fitting my year boat. How do I determine the correct one? Any experiences?

WIngnut

Some states require a Low Volatile Organic Compound formulation, and that is the VOV Ash compound. 0016 is interior gel, and the 13 and 19 are exterior, and depend on year so you will need to call them.

LtColMac17

Good to know about the LVOC. Just to clarify a little, the "00-16" is not a part number but rather the model year range. Can you identify the interior vs exterior by viewing the ending of the PNs such as F559259AK or F559257AK, etc.?

LAKETIME

I have a 2013 244 Sunesta with a few minor gel coat dings. I've read on the now-defunct Chap forum and FB groups that most are using the Spectrum Color for the best color matching the gel coat. I used the drop down features on their website, and I'm slightly confused that there are FOUR different part numbers for the small kits.

1. CHAPARRAL MISSION WHITE 00-16 Part Number: PATCH PASTE KITS:F559259AK
2. CHAPARRAL MISSION WHITE 00-16 Part Number: PATCH PASTE KITS:F559257AK
3. CHAPARRAL MISSION WHITE 00-19 Part Number: PATCH PASTE KITS:F559258AK
4. CHAPARRAL MISSION WHITE ASH LVOC 00-16 Part Number: PATCH PASTE KITS:F559216K

As you can see, there are four different part numbers for a kit fitting my year boat. How do I determine the correct one? Any experiences?
Hmmm...I didn't realized there were different versions, either. I bought one of the above; which one, I don't know.
Mine looks like a good match, though I haven't finished the polishing phase yet...

Chap264

Your probably not going to notice a big difference in any of those to what your hull color is. If the areas you are doing are relatively small, I doubt you will even notice a difference.

LtColMac17

I'm thinking/hoping you are correct Chap264. I've called Chaparral customer service twice, and got two different answers about what Spectrum interior gel coat was used on my boat. Each time I've called and given them my HIN, they both said "hmmm, I'm going to have to ask someone about what I'm seeing on the screen and get back to you" and they e-mail me different codes both times.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
If you are able to only get a close match and you get 10' away from it the only person the may be able to see it is you, because you will know where to look.

LtColMac17

Spectrum sent me the kit and I made the repair pretty well. I did have to let it cure 24 hours. I had only small digs, so only mixed half an ounce and the appropriate drops of hardener. I’m probably the only one who will notice it’s not perfect. I have a longer scratch on the hull I might try with the rest before it expires, but the small ding repairs reminded me I hate sanding.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
The smoother you put it on, the easier it is to sand, especially if you use wet or dry sand paper with water.