Speedometer leaking on dash.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
A new to me 2005 Sunsation 288 MCOB, Previous owner told me speedo did not work.
Oil seems to be leaking from it or an oily substance. I suppose water is being forced into it to gauge the speed and somehow getting all the way up to my dash.

How can I stop the liquid from getting to dash so that I can put in a GPS speedo?
SpeedoIssue.jpeg

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Could not find anything on the net. Suggest you give them a call, they should be able to help you.
Livorsi Marine Inc. 715 Center Street. Grayslake IL 60030. Toll Free: 877-548-5900. Phone: 847-752-2700. Fax: 847-752-2415. Hours of Operation. Monday-Friday. 8am- 5 pm CDT.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Thanks Denny.
I found that these gauges are filled with liquid to prevent speedo jumping around like so many do. Supposed to be more accurate., but this one leaks and does not work. I will check with livorsi.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Denny.
I found that these gauges are filled with liquid to prevent speedo jumping around like so many do. Supposed to be more accurate., but this one leaks and does not work. I will check with livorsi.
Keep us posted, could be some useful info.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Pull the water tube off the back and pinch it off with a zip tie and replace the gauge...
I considered that but it's so oily I'm not sure water is getting in the boat from teh speedo. It should be pressure that causes the speedo to move. Going to talk with Livorsi and see what they suggest.

Iggy

Personal, I would pull that gauge out and put in a more useful one or not use it at all That type is very inaccurate. If the tide or current is against, you need to add that in. Its water uses water pressure as others have mentioned. Your GPS will give your true SOG/MPH reading. But that me.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Personal, I would pull that gauge out and put in a more useful one or not use it at all That type is very inaccurate. If the tide or current is against, you need to add that in. Its water uses water pressure as others have mentioned. Your GPS will give your true SOG/MPH reading. But that me.
My first thought was to put in a GPS speedo. On the river I've never had a speedo work for long without getting gummed up from the little pieces of mud in the river. Always had to clean it out and it would work for an hour or two, so that type of speedo is useless to me for where I boat.
And I'd like the gauge to match my boat so I checked Livorsi GPS speedo's. Over 500 clams. :eek: Not quite ready to sink that much in it just to know how fast I'm going. I have a pretty good idea without any gauge....and thankfully there are no speed traps on the river. :D

Phillbo

If your speedo is gumming up that fast so is your cooling system. I'd make sure to replace the impellor at least annually... Maybe the thermostat too..

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I've been at it here on the Ohio River for 30+ years. I can get two years out of the impellor with no issue. Sometimes it comes out looking nearly new but I replace it anyway. I have only had to replace one thermostat in all those years, but I do keep an eye on that stuff. Thanks!!!!

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I run my girl strictly by GPS, speed is secondary. One of the rivers I boat on has a 7mph current, so at a set rpm I am faster going with the current then I am against the current. For me, it is all about the comfort of the ride.

Iggy

I've been at it here on the Ohio River for 30+ years. I can get two years out of the impellor with no issue. Sometimes it comes out looking nearly new but I replace it anyway. I have only had to replace one thermostat in all those years, but I do keep an eye on that stuff. Thanks!!!!
Yep, I keep a thermostat as a spare part. I normally get 2 years out of a impeller too.

Phillbo

For me the impellor is an annual service item. I don't want to be 60 miles up lake in a canyon with no cell service and a boat that is overheating... I keep a spare on board as well.

SST

If you have a spare impeller and you fry the one in use while out in the middle of no where, how do you replace it while out there? Don't most Merc lower units have to come off? Different mfr's have an accessible impeller while in the water?

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I have a Bravo III outdrive so the impeller is on the motor, not in the leg.
My Bravo drive is the same. Impeller attached to motor. Alpha drives were in the outdrive. Easy to change when out of water. But in the water I'm not sure if it could be done.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I have always removed the entire drive and laid it on the floor on it's side to change the impeller.
And don't forget to put that little orange oil O-ring in.