Trim gauge not working

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Never seen a trim gauge malfunctionn quite like this livorsi trim gauge. It is slow to never getting to where you set the trim. This makes it extra hard for my wife to drive. I can do it by ear but that leaves a lot to be desired.
How can I be sure it is just teh trim gauge ...and not something else?
Is there any tricks to changing out the gauge?
Never done it before so any tips appreciated.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Not sure what may be wrong with yours, but when I was having an issue with my Bennett's, I called them and explained what was happening to them, they told me what I needed to do, and it cured my issue.
I would call Livorsi, explain what is or what is not working right, and they should be able to get to the bottom of your issue. keep us in the loop.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I posted a month or so ago about my Livorsi speedometer. Liquid filled and leaking. I contacted Livorsi to no avail. Nothing. No help. No comment no nothing. Disappointed.
Since the gauge moves but is extremely delayed and not accurate. I'm guessing it's the gauge. So I ordered a Faria trim gauge from Great Lakes Skipper web site. It cost $39. I figured it's worth a shot.
Some boaters rave about Livorsi gauges. And I admit they are sharp looking but when they don't work looks do not matter much. So this is a 40 dollar gamble for me. Fingers crossed it fixes the issue. Will post an update once I know.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I posted a month or so ago about my Livorsi speedometer. Liquid filled and leaking. I contacted Livorsi to no avail. Nothing. No help. No comment no nothing. Disappointed.
Since the gauge moves but is extremely delayed and not accurate. I'm guessing it's the gauge. So I ordered a Faria trim gauge from Great Lakes Skipper web site. It cost $39. I figured it's worth a shot.
Some boaters rave about Livorsi gauges. And I admit they are sharp looking but when they don't work looks do not matter much. So this is a 40 dollar gamble for me. Fingers crossed it fixes the issue. Will post an update once I know.
How sad, does not help their image much.

Reactions: Doc

SST

When my trim sending unit failed, I just went by feel. Knowing my boat, I would also watch the tach and the speedometer. As most of us feel that 3000/30 is the sweet spot, set the throttle for 3000 and tweak the trim until the speed is +/- 30. The boat will immediately tell you if you're out of trim or not. Tweak it and it starts to slow down, adjust it until it speeds up again.
I actually do this more than relying on the gauge. I only use the gauge as a reference to confirm what I already did.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I agree SST and I have been running that same way. Works for cruising. Wife is more concerned with when she drives the boat on the trailer. I've told her just to go from all the way down and count 2 or 3 seconds on the button will raise it enough to pull on the trailer. She is still nervous and refused to trailer the boat without a gauge. So ....
My son has been helping get the boat out for the time being but it's much better when just my wife and I can get er done.