Trim pump wiring

Sandbar

2005 Signature 270 starboard trim pump is misbehaving and need to figure out where the positive wire goes to trouble shoot. Drive will not go up or down and I can hear clicking from the solenoids.
I've pulled the pump and replaced (correctly) both the up and down trim solenoids (Down solenoid was shot so I replaced both). I have since reinstalled and verified that the pump will move the drive (Bravo 3) up and down using an alternate wiring arrangement. The original wiring doesn't want to work for some reason.
Also replaced the 90A breaker located near the batteries. I've verified that I have 12.57v at the end of the red wire that goes to the +ve lug on the pump and have confirmed ground continuity between the ground lug on the pump and a bare washer on the alternator.

At the suggestion of a local marine mechanic, I removed the original red wire from the pump and ran an alternate wire from the positive lug on the pump to the solenoid on top of the engine with an in-line 30A maxi fuse installed (as a way to draw 12v from a different source.
Works perfectly except when I press the "up" button too long...then it fries the fuse. I know that the pump draws a lot more amps than that but I wanted to be cautious.

Does anybody know the wiring for those trim pumps (SAE J1171) on the 2005 Signature 270?
I'd like to figure out why the pump will fire if I draw the 12v from a different location while also figuring out how the original wires between the pump and the breaker is run so that I can eliminate corrosion on a connector (that may be behind or under the engine/starter, etc.) as a source of my problem.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Bt Doctur

Super Moderator
Staff member
The trim pump fuse is usually a 90A or 110A plastic block mounted to the buss bar, from the buss bar is a 20A fuse to operate the solenoids thru the 3 wire plug. Most systems are direct to the battery to eliminate any corrosion issues. If your connected at the starter and block, remove both and go direct to the battery posts

Bt Doctur

Super Moderator
Staff member
1660684274747.png