Water Leaking onto Deck

donnnn

I have a 1997 Chaparral 1830 ss that has just developed some sort of leak with water coming from under the bow deck onto the main deck soaking the carpeting. So the leak is from high up, not down in the hull. I also found water in the forward bow locker - the one with the drain. Can you please help me try to identify what is causing this and how to fix it??

Phillbo

Do you have a cooler with a drain? Does it happen when sitting still or only when under way?

donnnn

Yes. I was just in the boat (now on trailer) investigating, poured some water into the front cooler with a drain and water leaked into the boat deck. Isn’t this supposed to drain out a hull fitting into the lake? The water coming into the boat while underway might be coming up that hull fitting?? Meaning the hose is broken?

donnnn

I solved this by silicone caulking both the cooler and hull fitting since I never used that cooler for wet stuff anyway.

Reactions: Doc

Sandbar

Sometimes boat builders employ a drain (channel) in the fiberglass that goes all the way down the keel from the bow through to the stern under the floor. It is designed to drain all the way to the bilge. If the there is no other drain fitting from that front anchor locker or bow area to overboard, then this was the option chosen. If so, it's possible that the drainage channel is blocked either by debris/mud/silt or was blocked by excess fiberglass from the get go.

Reactions: Doc