Will you be boating this Memorial Day weekend?

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Unfortunately I won't.
Memorial day is usually the big summer kick off. Historically it is a great weekend for boating. In the past 30 years I could count on one had the times this holiday weekend were not conducive to boating. We've always been able to boat at least on one or two of the days. This weekend we won't even put the boat in. Rain and low temps, highs in the 60's. Warming to mid 70's Sunday and sunny but rain on Monday. So at this point no plans to be on the water.

Hope your luck is better for getting na little float time in.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Hell no... Too many morons in wake boats on the lake.
Another reason I'm happy to live in the sticks. We have our share of boaters, many travel a couple hours to get here but there is plenty of room for all so far. To bad the weather is not playing well with us this year.

unplugged

Same for us. Although we are slipped at a marina and don’t have to launch/retrieve, the cold and wind are just off-putting.

Reactions: Doc

Phillbo

Weather would be perfect but with only 1 working ramp and the crowds expected I see not only this weekend but the entire summer being a pass..... W prefer to be on the lake Fall - Spring.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Well. it's 47 degrees and raining. This is what to expect on my end of Lake Erie.
SST can tell you, Lake Erie can get real ugly in a heart beat.
.TONIGHT...Northeast gales to 35 knots. A chance of showers this
evening, then showers likely after midnight. Waves 8 to 11 feet.
Waves occasionally around 14 feet.
.SATURDAY...Northeast winds to 30 knots. Showers likely in the
morning, then a chance of showers in the afternoon. Waves 7 to
11 feet subsiding to 6 to 9 feet. Waves occasionally around
14 feet.
.SATURDAY NIGHT...Northeast winds 15 to 25 knots. Mostly cloudy.
Waves 5 to 8 feet subsiding to 3 to 5 feet. Waves occasionally
around 10 feet.
.SUNDAY...Northeast winds 15 to 20 knots diminishing to 10 to
15 knots. Mostly sunny. Waves 3 to 5 feet subsiding to 1 to
3 feet. Waves occasionally around 6 feet.

• Wow

SST

The Port Colborne, Ontario buoy is my water buddy. I always check that for winds and wave height. The weather here is forecasted to be lousy as well. No launching here either. But it also means I won't have to deal with all the crazy boaters.

Here is the Port Colborne buoy for this morning. You should see the wave heights when the winds are SSW.
1622296654220.png

• Wow

SST

It is breezy and 66 but sunny. Further south the weather deteriorates. So, I went flying this morning with my friend with his newly purchased RV-8a. Pretty fast.

This picture is all Lake Erie with southe Buffalo on the right.
IMG_2648.JPG

We flew south towards Bradford, PA but weather was close to IFR. This picture is Alleghany State Park with lowering clouds.
IMG_2649.JPG

We "diverted" to Great Valley (south of ellicottville NY) and landed there for breakfast. This picture is on short final.
IMG_2650.JPG

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
(y)Thanks for sharing, nice to see what the other end of the lake looks like.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Well the lake is becoming usable again. Going to try fishing again on Tuesday.

.TONIGHT...East winds 5 to 10 knots becoming southwest. Mostly
clear. Waves 2 feet or less.
.MONDAY...Southwest winds 5 to 10 knots becoming southeast.
Mostly sunny. Waves 1 foot or less.
.MONDAY NIGHT...South winds 5 to 10 knots becoming southwest.
Mostly cloudy. Waves 1 foot or less.
.TUESDAY...Southwest winds 10 knots or less becoming east. Partly
sunny. Waves 1 foot or less.

• Sad

Iggy

I brought my boat into the Club on Saturday late morning. We hit 8 to 10 foot waves with winds at 18 to 20 MPH. We got tossed! But The boat did good. For me it was the first time out.

• Wow

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I brought my boat into the Club on Saturday late morning. We hit 8 to 10 foot waves with winds at 18 to 20 MPH. We got tossed! But The boat did good. For me it was the first time out.
(y)