FULL SENDER

trhoad

I have a 2019 277ssx i/o. My fuel display on my Garmin is always showing full. My marina fixed my trim tabs, saying there was a starboard actuator short. They replaced a indicator switch. Would that have anything to do with why my fuel display is showing full?

Iggy

One should not have anything to do with the other I would think.

But your not explaining how the Garmin is getting a reading off the tank. Plus, has this worked in the past? We would need more info. Normally or in the past, this feature is not used since the below ways would need to be added as a option.

This can be done in 3 ways. First, a Garmin tank sensor can be added to a NMEA2k network. The stock tank sensor could be connected to the engine/s computer and the Garmin getting data from that. Or a device connected to the fuel display which is analog and converting it to digital and sending the date over the NMEA2k network.

trhoad

But your not explaining how the Garmin is getting a reading off the tank. Plus, has this worked in the past? We would need more info. Normally or in the past, this feature is not used since the below ways would need to be added as a option.

This can be done in 3 ways. First, a Garmin tank sensor can be added to a NMEA2k network. The stock tank sensor could be connected to the engine/s computer and the Garmin getting data from that. Or a device connected to the fuel display which is analog and converting it to digital and sending the date over the NMEA2k network.

My setup is I have a nmea2000 back bone with a yellow power cord connected along with a gateway. I have two black cords connecting to each garmin units. I have a double screen garmin setup mounted/sealed into dash. The fuel sender cord is running in same housing from tank area to helm area. This boat is a 2019 and has no analog gauges at all. I pulled my full sender and tested it with a multimeter. I got 30 ohm at full and read 230 ohm 3 inches from bottom of sender. When I moved float further I got negative #s. I may buy a new sender. What do you think? Also don’t see the send listed on the nmea2000 device list.

Attachments

• IMG_8850.jpeg
    IMG_8850.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8848.jpeg
    IMG_8848.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 5

trhoad

My setup is I have a nmea2000 back bone with a yellow power cord connected along with a gateway. I have two black cords connecting to each garmin units. I have a double screen garmin setup mounted/sealed into dash. The fuel sender cord is running in same housing from tank area to helm area. This boat is a 2019 and has no analog gauges at all. I pulled my full sender and tested it with a multimeter. I got 30 ohm at full and read 230 ohm 3 inches from bottom of sender. When I moved float further I got negative #s. I may buy a new sender. What do you think? Also don’t see the send listed on the nmea2000 device list.

Iggy

Did this work before? If the the sender is not on the list, then the Garmin is not seeing it. Obviously, but must be said. There must be a other cable plugged into the sender and than going to the backbone. Try plugging it directly into the backbone or use another drop cable. Maybe that cable is bad. You ether have a bad cable, bad sender or maybe a bad Tee. More so it it worked before. If it didn't, it may not be compatible with Garmin.

Also try upgrading the firmware in the Garmin. That could be a problem too. The sender could have been on the market before the Garmin unit.

Check all of your TEEs and the end terminators. I will say that the Garmin and most other brands of cable are not that great.
Maretron makes one of the best connectors https://www.maretron.com/products/nmea-2000-cables-and-connectors/

trhoad

Did this work before? If the the sender is not on the list, then the Garmin is not seeing it. Obviously, but must be said. There must be a other cable plugged into the sender and than going to the backbone. Try plugging it directly into the backbone or use another drop cable. Maybe that cable is bad. You ether have a bad cable, bad sender or maybe a bad Tee. More so it it worked before. If it didn't, it may not be compatible with Garmin.

Also try upgrading the firmware in the Garmin. That could be a problem too. The sender could have been on the market before the Garmin unit.

Check all of your TEEs and the end terminators. I will say that the Garmin and most other brands of cable are not that great.
Maretron makes one of the best connectors https://www.maretron.com/products/nmea-2000-cables-and-connectors/
Everything has been working fine since 2019 when I bought this boat new. I wonder if Chaparral would have a wire diagram.

Iggy

The fuel sensor, it does have a NMEA2k connector on it. In my above post, I was assuming it did.

To back up on my post. How are you tapping into the engines computer to read RPMs and other data? You fuel sensor could be connected to the engine's computer or to the gauge on the helm. Where is that cable going?

On my last boat, a 2011 Sig 290. The fuel gauge had nothing to do the the engines computer. So I could see everything on my Garmin but fuel.

trhoad

I’m guessing that my engine wiring/fuel sender is going to a converter. I would amagine that my gateway is plugged into the other end of that converter then run to the TBone.

Iggy

So you are guessing. I would talk to your dealer on this. I bet the fuel sender is going straight to the helm as in past years. So you fuel gauge in would be analog. Garmin does make a NMEA fuel cable that will convert the ohms/analog to a digital format.

https://defender.com/en_us/garmin-gfl-10-nmea-2000-fluid-level-analog-adapter-010-11326-00 This will act as a gateway and do what you are looking for.

Keep in mind, when the boat is built. They may not know what engines are going in or even if the new owner is going to install a MFD device or just a very simple GPS. Your MFD can do a lot, that's a good thing! I took it for granted that the boat come with a factory installed NEMA backbone, did it?

On my old boat, they used 4 wires. Power, ground, port engine and starboard engine signal. That went to the RPM gauge and the was the gateway to all the analog gauges. Keeping the fuel tank out of it.

Last edited: