Finally made it to Toronto

SST

After 4 years of waiting due to the virus, border closing and other annoying blocks, I trailered into Canada and up to Toronto. My timing was good.

No waiting at the border. Minimal road construction and traffic on the QEW which means no traffic jams. And piece of cake launching. What a relief.

I thought Lake Ontario would be smoother but the winds and waves were higher than expected although not enough to return. As I approached Toronto Island I could see some changes were made and only two boats anchored. As I came closer and due to the wind and waves I decided not to anchor. I don’t trust my anchor to dig in in these conditions. So I decided to go inside the island and tie up on the mooring wall and take a short walk over to the beach. I like having my boat anchored in sight while sitting on the beach. Gives me a great feeling. But as the saying goes, “Better safe than sorry.”

IMG_1011.jpeg
IMG_1008.jpeg

I had originally planned on overnighting but the forecast that morning showed showers the next day so I canceled. I watched the weather from home the next day…..not a drop. So annoyed.

I’m already watching the weather for my next trip to Toronto. 👍

SST

While leaving the island that evening, I just couldn’t resist catching a Porter Airlines Dash 8 Q400 arriving overhead. It’s the cherry on top for me.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Awesome trip and pics. Nice.
I've been there but not with my boat.
Curious, if you anchor out how do you get to shore?
I agree with better safe than sorry for sure. :thumb:

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Glad you finally made the trip. nice photo, your girl fit nicely around the sea wall. Lol
How far did you trailer and where did you launch from? How much open water did you have to cross?

SST

Awesome trip and pics. Nice.
I've been there but not with my boat.
Curious, if you anchor out how do you get to shore?
I agree with better safe than sorry for sure. :thumb:
If the winds and waves are calm, I’ve anchored as close as 10 feet from the beach and about 2 foot depth. But with that comes a potential problem. All the other arriving boaters are now anchored in front of the boat making it very difficult to leave if needed.

Once, the winds and waves picked up far earlier than forecast. I needed to get out. Operating alone, pulling the anchor and getting back into the cockpit with only 10 feet to spare…..and two morons walking in front of me, almost washed me ashore. I learned front that near incident not to anchor so close anymore.

SST

Glad you finally made the trip. nice photo, your girl fit nicely around the sea wall. Lol
How far did you trailer and where did you launch from? How much open water did you have to cross?
The launch ramp I use is called Lake Promenade WSW of Toronto. It is exactly 100 miles from my home. Actual water mileage might be around 5 miles or so. This is a nice area and a nice ramp. Not chaotic at all. There is also a marina there and I’ve overnighted there several times. But the next goal is to overnight at Toronto Island. There is an abundance of water taxis that can take you to the mainland. Something to look forward to.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
The launch ramp I use is called Lake Promenade WSW of Toronto. It is exactly 100 miles from my home. Actual water mileage might be around 5 miles or so. This is a nice area and a nice ramp. Not chaotic at all. There is also a marina there and I’ve overnighted there several times. But the next goal is to overnight at Toronto Island. There is an abundance of water taxis that can take you to the mainland. Something to look forward to.
Thanks for sharing, sounds like you are anchored in the middle of a parking lot.
Where are you standing when you retrieve your anchor, and are you anchored from your bow or stern?

SST

I am usually anchored off the bow. So when it’s time to depart with the engine already running, I am kneeling on the bow, pull the anchor, get it stable on the deck, then climb over the glass frame into the capt chair and throttle up. Once I’m in the clear of other boats, I throttle back to neutral and properly store the anchor behind the capt chair. As long as the wind and waves are calm, this isn’t a problem.

Phillbo

I am usually anchored off the bow. So when it’s time to depart with the engine already running, I am kneeling on the bow, pull the anchor, get it stable on the deck, then climb over the glass frame into the capt chair and throttle up. Once I’m in the clear of other boats, I throttle back to neutral and properly store the anchor behind the capt chair. As long as the wind and waves are calm, this isn’t a problem.
That routine would drive me crazy. I'm lazy and just like to push a button :)

A buddy of mine purchased an anchor box that bolts to the bow. Not perfect but you only have to handle the anchor one time. It's pretty low profile as well.

SST

There is another quirk with this boat.

While anchored from the bow and if there is a moderate breeze (+/- 10kts or more) the boat will swing as much as 180 degrees. If I’m in shallow water I usually drop a second anchor from the stern water ski eye and that usually takes care of it. But try doing all of the above while still trying to keep it straight……it can be stressful. I am very careful to watch conditions so I don’t get caught.

However, when I anchor with the ski eye on the stern, the boat maintains its position with a very small swing. If it gets wavy, the swim platform gets pounded. I don’t anchor like this in tight places like Toronto island beach. I still have to get it turned around.