Throttle Cable/Neutral and Noise

cjm13905

Not sure if my boat info will show up below : 2000 Chapparrel 232. Merc 250 hp, merc alpha 1 drive.

Late last year, after going into neutral and shutting off. The boat would not start. I would need to put it in gear, them back
to neutral, then it would start. This year, first time out, same thing, but halfway through our ride I put it in neutral and
it started making a grinding type noise. Put it back into gear and it was fine. When we came in to dock, same grinding
noise when went into neutral.

Ideal, thoughts ?
Thanks.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I am by no means a mechanic, but that sounds more like a mechanical issue rather than an electrical issue.
What solenoid?

Iggy

There is a neutral switch that could be out of alinement. General speaking, its built into the shift so you can only start the engine in neutral.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
There is a neutral switch that could be out of alinement. General speaking, its built into the shift so you can only start the engine in neutral.
Back in the day when a car would not start you sometimes you had to jiggle the gear shift lever to activate the neutral reverse safety switch when it was going bad. Iggy I think you are right on that end. Without hearing and knowing where the grinding noise is coming from, it could be anything, maybe it is not all the way in gear sometimes.

Reactions: Doc