Throttle / drive stiffness

bpatera

Hello! I have a sunesta 243 and the throttle seems very stiff when going in forward or reverse. Is it worth trying to lube the cable, buy a new one or any other options?

Thanks!

bpatera

Buy the new cable, what year is she?
2002 with 240 hours.

I pulled the hood up and when moving the throttle there are 2 cables that seem to move. Should I replace both? Do you have any suggestions on the part number or name of it where I can search for replacement?

Thanks!

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Do you have 2 cables coming out of the gear box, or one from the gear box and one up from the outdrive?
Is your unit Merc or Volvo? If you can locate where the cable coming up from the outdrive bolts on to the engine, disconnect it from there and try your shifter. If it moves easy then I would look and see if it is corroded where it connects at the outdrive. I have changed mine, (twice the one that comes out of the outdrive, never the gear box)) but we are 17 years apart and I am sure they have made a lot of changes, so we may not even resemble each other. Mine is Merc.
Please keep me posted, not sure if I am helping or not.

Reactions: Doc

bpatera

It’s a merc. Appears one coming from gear box and other from out drive. I’ll try what you mention here. Thanks for the suggestion! Will keep you posted once I’ve tried this out.