Watching the eclipse?

SST

Buffalo is right in the middle of the eclipse path. Last week, the weather forecasters were forecasting clear and sunny. Now, light rain and clouds. But they keep up the hype with high thin clouds. I guess we'll see. I was reading on a science site about the drop in temperature could be 15 degrees which could help in either the reduction of clouds or getting rid of them. Fingers crossed.

In August of 2017 was the last partial eclipse I saw. This picture was taken from my boat while anchored off of Toronto Island. Thankfully a calm day or it would have been tough to get a steady picture. The sun light did dim somewhat so a totality will be interesting. I was going to originally just sit in my back yard and watch it but there are two other areas that area higher and less obscured which would allow me to see the edges of the totality "disk." I'll have to wing it. The telescope in the picture is also the same telescope that I'll use tomorrow. It's from the late 1960's. Still in good condition.
Partial eclipse yyz.JPG

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I'm two hours away from the path of totality. Was considering driving that way to see it but have since changed my mind.
It will be a madhouse there as it is 25 miles NW of Columbus Ohio and more than half that city will be heading the same direction. Not for me. I'll see it on TV. Over and over most likely. lol

toons185.JPG
toons186.jpeg
funny189.JPG

willbaker13

Here in Austin they are now saying low clouds will probably block the eclipse. Either way, I'll be standing in my backyard with the eclipse glasses on looking up for 1.5 min. :)

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Not sure what is in store for us here in Toledo. Playing golf tomorrow at noon, have not heard anyone say what time it will happen here.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Probably happen when you are on the tee of number 15. Or about 3:15pm from what I've heard.
Hit em straight.

SST

It was the most awesome thing I've ever seen. It out paces my picture above. Buffalo was really cloudy so I decided to drive SW on I-90. There is an overview park that sits on top of the Chataugua Ridge that is well above Lake Erie. I could clearly see across the lake into Canada with several ships on the water headed towards Port Colborne. The clouds were breaking up but the sun kept getting blocked by stray clouds instead of staying in the clear. I had thought maybe I was really out of bounds but all of the sudden the sky went black! Just amazing. I could see sun light waay up in Canada while I stood in total darkness. While the sun was blocked, I looked through my 25x100 binoculars and saw the ring of the sun. Several solar flares could be seen off the surface [edge]. When the sun started to come back out, I moved over to my telescope and reflected the image off of a blank sheet of paper. Then, a bunch of young girls swarmed around me to see what I was looking at. Some took pictures. Helped make my day! haha

I will post pictures tomorrow. The phone is downstairs and I'm upstairs and I'm too lazy and tired to bother.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Probably happen when you are on the tee of number 15. Or about 3:15pm from what I've heard.
Hit em straight.
Had to suspend play because of darkness. Lol Did get to experience it, and got some pictures. We had hazy skies, but no clouds, the viewing was really great. It was kinda cool, when the sun reappeared it looked like someone turned on a big spotlight.

SST

Here are a couple of pics:

This is what I viewed with. The binoculars made the trip worth it. Like everyone else, I’ve seen the endless pictures on tv. But I knew it would be different if I saw it myself. I was right. Nothing is better than first hand experience.
IMG_1343.jpeg

This map shows key landmarks across Lake Erie into Canada. I’m pointing where the family cottage use to be.
IMG_1342.jpeg

The picture on the left is from the binoculars just after totality reflecting off the sheet of paper. I used the telescope mostly for the same purpose. That sun of ours really cranks out the visible light even at such a reduced amount. The picture on the right is totality with my phone. The iPhone XR usually takes poor pictures but this came out nice.

IMG_1341.jpegIMG_1337.jpeg

This is a “long range” photo looking at Port Colborne, Ontario with grain elevators in view along with a heavily laden ship. He was really low in the water.
IMG_1344.jpeg

One more month to launch.

Last edited: