Who is using Lithium LiFePO4 for the house?

Iggy

Just thought I would start a new topic that I have never seen here. LiFePO4 is becoming more and more common place.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Can these batteries take the place of a generator? I'd never heard of them before.

Iggy

What is it?
It is a type of lithium battery. The safe type, not the same as the ones used in phones or cars.

Lithium is a deep to moderate cycle battery. Not used for starting large engines, or until they improve the technology any week now. But half the wight of flooded or AGM batteries with the 10 to 20% more amp hours for the same size. They re-charge faster and can cycle about 4 times more. So about 3000 times vs 500 to 1500 vs AGM or flooded. All this is brand dependent on both chemistries.

The up front cost is a little high. But in the long run they will save money.

Last edited:

Iggy

Can these batteries take the place of a generator? I'd never heard of them before.
Sure you have heard of them. They been in our cell phones for years!

Replace the generator? Well that all depend on you load demands. As mentioned, half the wight with more amp hours.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
of course I heard of Lithium .....but never heard of LiFeP04

Iggy

of course I heard of Lithium .....but never heard of LiFeP04

As I mentioned, you have. That is just a type and if my memory is right there are 4 kinds. But that one is the safest to be on a boat.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
It is a type of lithium battery. The safe type, not the same as the ones used in phones or cars.

Lithium is a deep to moderate cycle battery. Not used for starting large engines, or until they improve the technology any week now. But half the wight of flooded or AGM batteries with the 10 to 20% more amp hours for the same size. They re-charge faster and can cycle about 4 times more. So about 3000 times vs 500 to 1500 vs AGM or flooded. All this is brand dependent on both chemistries.

The up front cost is a little high. But in the long run they will save money.
I rotate my flooded house and start batteries every 3 years with new ones. What would I do with a lithium battery

Iggy

I rotate my flooded house and start batteries every 3 years with new ones. What would I do with a lithium battery
The same as you do now for the house. But they would last 4 to 5 times longer with less wight and more amp hours.

Isn't that the whole idea?? Oh, and to save $$ More amp hours = less time between charging and more run time. Bad idea?? I hope not!

Last edited:

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
To get back to Denny's point. "What would I do with a lithium battery"

The lithium type LiFePO4 battery is becoming a common place for house bank batteries. Its it nice to know about new technologies such as this?

This link will explain why most boaters are going to lithium for their house bank. https://marinehowto.com/drop-in-lifepo4-be-an-educated-consumer/
Thanks Iggy, the first thing I am going to do is pack a lunch and sit down and read it. Lol

Iggy

Thanks Iggy, the first thing I am going to do is pack a lunch and sit down and read it. Lol
It is a lot to read! But that web site is very good they get into everything on a boat. Chargers, raw water pumps, electronics.........................