2012 327SSX water in bilge

327SSX

Hello All-

Long time Chaparral owner and visitor of the previous Chaparral site. Just found this site recently and am glad to see some familiar names and boats!

I have a concern I'm hoping some of you might be able to assist me with... We own a 2012 327SSX with twin 496 mercruisers with Bravo 3 Axius drives. We bought the boat last year and noticed shortly after the sea trial that 2-3 gallons of water was entering the bilge each outing. Upon further investigation from my local mechanic, they were not able to locate the leak while the boat was at rest in the water. There also doesn't appear to be a leak when the boat is fully on plane either.

To the best of my knowledge the water only appears to enter the bilge when getting on plane or when there is water pressure on the swim platform/transom. We notice that the autobilge will kick on occasionally when the boat is half on plane but doesn't run excessively. The mechanic has claimed to check every through hull for leaks by using a garden hose and has determined the only possible entry point could be the horn near the bow. I find this unlikely as we rarely use the boat in waves that would reach that point of the boat. My instinct is that there is a leak somewhere on the swim platform, with underwater/transom lights or with a seal somewhere on the transom but haven't been able to confirm or rule this out.

We are scheduled to make a run up Lake Michigan later this summer and would love to know if any have heard of something like this or if anyone has recommended methods for tracking a leak. Also would appreciate any recommendations for mechanics/vendors that are in the Midwest/Michigan that have had success with this as my mechanic seems to be out of answers.

Thanks in advance

-Chris

Iggy

After 10 years, the bellows should be replaced if not already done. Another thing could be the air intake.

Phillbo

I'm not familiar with the model but is it possible you have water collecting forward that drains into the bilge when the bow if high?

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Is it possible to run with the bilge covers open?
If so take her out and have someone look in the bilge while you are accelerating.
You maybe able to pin point it that way.

Hello All-

Long time Chaparral owner and visitor of the previous Chaparral site. Just found this site recently and am glad to see some familiar names and boats!

I have a concern I'm hoping some of you might be able to assist me with... We own a 2012 327SSX with twin 496 mercruisers with Bravo 3 Axius drives. We bought the boat last year and noticed shortly after the sea trial that 2-3 gallons of water was entering the bilge each outing. Upon further investigation from my local mechanic, they were not able to locate the leak while the boat was at rest in the water. There also doesn't appear to be a leak when the boat is fully on plane either.

To the best of my knowledge the water only appears to enter the bilge when getting on plane or when there is water pressure on the swim platform/transom. We notice that the autobilge will kick on occasionally when the boat is half on plane but doesn't run excessively. The mechanic has claimed to check every through hull for leaks by using a garden hose and has determined the only possible entry point could be the horn near the bow. I find this unlikely as we rarely use the boat in waves that would reach that point of the boat. My instinct is that there is a leak somewhere on the swim platform, with underwater/transom lights or with a seal somewhere on the transom but haven't been able to confirm or rule this out.

We are scheduled to make a run up Lake Michigan later this summer and would love to know if any have heard of something like this or if anyone has recommended methods for tracking a leak. Also would appreciate any recommendations for mechanics/vendors that are in the Midwest/Michigan that have had success with this as my mechanic seems to be out of answers.

Thanks in advance

-Chris
Hey Chris... I wish I could help with your issue, But I am such a new boat owner I have no idea what I a talking about... However I was hoping I could ask you a question... The switch covers on the help both side are so worn out on my helm I can't read them...I wasn't sure if you would know what yours say?