2019 No power trim no motor start

dwieland

Pulled boat out to start spring maintenance. Battery charged, accessories work, no power trim and no motor start. Check trim fuse (20a) and it is fine. No other noticeable issues. Any thoughts. Dealer wants to just have it brought in and wait my turn.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
First thing I'd check is kill switch for no start. No guess on why trim not working, does it go up or down at all?

One year mine would go down but not back up. It was operator error. My old boat had used same switch for trailering, new one had a different trailer button and over the off season I had forgot about it. Called my mechanic who had winterized it and he guessed it right off. Duh on my part.

dwieland

Thanks for the reply Doc. I did check the kill switch. What's odd (to me) is that the trim will not move at all and no motor start. What I understand is that the Mercruiser's will not start if trim is in up position (which it is). Per the manual, check the fuse and the cables. All seem to be fine. I figure I'm just missing something obvious.

Cheers,
Dan

Reactions: Doc

Bt Doctur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did you hook up the batteries correctly?
Did you clean the battery conections and cable ends and is everything tight
Do you have anything working
trim has no effect on starting the motor , trim motor is usually wired direct to the battery
Battery switch turned on?

dwieland

Thanks. Everything was cleaned and connected. Switch is on. Accessories work. Appreciate the help but it's a head scratcher for me.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Since Mercruiser's will not start if trim is in up position; I'd focus on the trim. Double check all connections for the trim. Being a 2019 model they all should be okay but something sure is afoot. Good luck.

dwieland

No start in that there is nothing when the trim is pressed or the key is turned. No gauges light other than the depth finder. All accessories work but acts light dead battery for trim and the key on.

dwieland

Fyi. Found the issue. Knick in one of the positive small wires that was hard to get to. Fixed and everything works. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: Doc

Phillbo

We do appreciate the follow up. Helps us to learn and too many times people just go away once the issue is fixed.

Bt Doctur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since Mercruiser's will not start if trim is in up position;
Nope, doseant work like that

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Since Mercruiser's will not start if trim is in up position;
Nope, doseant work like that
The OP is the one who provided that tidbit. Quoted it from his manual. Might be something new. I think he was dealing with a 2019 model.