2023 280 OSX canvas question

Tom.D

The walk through to the bow seating on the 280 OSX is on the port side, not in the center. Seems no matter what I do the bow section canvas collects water on the port side when it rains, can’t get it to run off. Anyone else have this problem?

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
You need to add a vertical post to hold that side of the canvas up. They make different types, take it to a canvas shop and they can show you what you need.

Tom.D

it does have a center post, will take a picture next time it rains. Just wanted to know if any other 280 OSX owners had same problem.
Thanks for the replies

Tom.D

This is after several days of rain, all snaps are connected and post is extended tightly. It seems that with the port side walk through the canvas is not supported well enough where the canvas attaches to the windshield.

Attachments

• IMG_0807.jpeg
    IMG_0807.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0806.jpeg
    IMG_0806.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 46

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
It looks like the canvas may not be tight enough. If you take it to a canvas shop they can make adjustments to make it fit better and stop it from gathering there. Simple fix.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Raise the pole.
Not sure if that will cure the issue, the right side is already tight. Not there, can't really say, just going from sum what past experience.
I will throw it by the canvas guy that I help out. And show him the pictures.

Last edited:

Tom.D

Thanks for the replies, but it’s a brand new boat, I shouldn’t have to come up with a “fix”. Wanted to see if anyone else had same problem. I haven’t talked to the dealer yet, but I will. Thanks again

Goboyle

Try lowering the support post. I know that seems counterintuitive but it may then allow the water to run off toward the front. I use a full mooring cover on my 247SSx, and I’ve had to lower the front support post to keep water from pooling.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Talked with my canvas guy with 40 years experience, he said it was made wrong. He said that there is a lot of pressure on the forward port snap. He said in order to fix it you have to release the pressure on the forward snap, and that would be to add some more fabric in that area and a new snap, then you could work on adjusting the back. Or have a new one made. He said it's happened to him before, everything looks great and then an issue develops. Please let us know how you make out.

Tom.D

Talked with my canvas guy with 40 years experience, he said it was made wrong. He said that there is a lot of pressure on the forward port snap. He said in order to fix it you have to release the pressure on the forward snap, and that would be to add some more fabric in that area and a new snap, then you could work on adjusting the back. Or have a new one made. He said it's happened to him before, everything looks great and then an issue develops. Please let us know how you make out.
The dealer has informed me that this is a common problem on 280’s and that they will refer it to a canvas shop when I bring it back to them at the end of the season, a second pole is a possibility. Service and support from the dealer has been exceptional

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
If it was made right to begin with, you would not need a second pole. Sounds like the original pattern was not made right. If they put in a second pole, is there room for it on the floor, or will it set on the seat? Good luck.