Bilge Float Switch

willbaker13

Had to replace the float switch and thinking it would be a quick 20 - 30 min job. As the float switch is a Rule I figured no need to remove the base, my dealer should have one and just pop it out, and back in. 3 dealers later...now I have the part. The electrical connection was made by Deutsch connectors and no one (Lowes, Home Depot, Auto Parts stores, boat dealers) had any so no big deal I'll just use a butt connector. Pulled one of the two batteries out so I could reach the switch, popped it right out, traced the wires and cut the Deutsh connectors, attached the butt connectors, ready to test. Nothing. Maybe the wires are switched though I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter but, I swamp them out. Still nothing. As I'm still recovering from a broken arm I know I don't have full grip strength so maybe the crimps aren't tight enough on the connectors. Still nothing. Check fuses, looks good. Now I'm hot, sore, and confused...

I'm about ready to say screw it when I realize that I never installed the battery I removed for access back into the boat. 5 minutes later battery back in and float switch working. The wiring harness disappears so I could never see where the direct connection went and assumed it was to the battery that I left installed. My 30 min job turned into a few hours.

So, my moral of the story - NEVER ASSUME ?

Happy Fathers Day everyone!

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Murphy's Law, "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong".
Here are some of the most common. • Everything takes longer than you expected. • Nothing is as easy as it looks. • If there is a worst possible time for something to go wrong, that is when it will go wrong. • If only ten possible things can wrong and you prepare for them all, an eleventh will appear and go wrong.

Sandbar

Murphy's Law, "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong".
Here are some of the most common. • Everything takes longer than you expected. • Nothing is as easy as it looks. • If there is a worst possible time for something to go wrong, that is when it will go wrong. • If only ten possible things can wrong and you prepare for them all, an eleventh will appear and go wrong.
And let's not forget Murphy's Law of automotive mechanics: Any part or tool that drops while working on an engine will always land in the least accessible location or under the geographic center of the vehicle. Corollary...unless there is a drain.?

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
And let's not forget Murphy's Law of automotive mechanics: Any part or tool that drops while working on an engine will always land in the least accessible location or under the geographic center of the vehicle. Corollary...unless there is a drain.?
I was in the auto body trade for 50 yrs, believe me, I know all of them.:)

Reactions: Doc